It Is Starting To Rain ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Git yer wadders on !!!

No appreciable rain in June here and none forecast. Grass is starting to crunch underfoot.

Went from dead burned out lawn from that weird May drought to feeling like I'm growing moss! It feels like it has rained almost every day for two weeks.

Four hours of the hardest downpour, most lightning and thunder I have ever seen last night then rained the rest of the night. Thanks Bill!

Four hours of the hardest downpour, most lightning and thunder I have ever seen last night then rained the rest of the night. Thanks Bill!
Yes, thanks bill, and I mean that. Here in se mass I need it, water's expensive here.

The rain was welcome here. May was so dry that my grass turned brown and crunchy right after it had greened up from the spring. Nice and lush now after having some appreciable rains over the last 3 weeks. Hoping this trend continues for some time. I saw that over the last 2 years we are about 8 inches below norm with precipitation. Even after having a massive amount of snow over the winter.

My grass is still very green and vibrant.:mad: Not happy with all this rain. The Mississippi River is the color of melted chocolate. Tough to fish when the lure can't penetrate the surface.

Saves me from watering the new flower garden and new trees planted in the corner yard where we don't have a well yet. Down side is the 2 acres of grass with lots of trimming with weed eater and push mower and the rose bush that has black spot. Tried treating the rose bush with a baking soda spray ... just before it started to rain:( The garden area is the site of a wedding this summer so hope the rose survives.

SIL said the new grass seed she just put down is floating around in their yard.

Not that wet here, begreen. Just the perfect amount of rain and heat to make the grass shoot up almost 2" per day. I mowed Friday night, and by Sunday night it looked like it needed another mowing. Must be over 8" deep tonight, but she'll have to wait for Wednesday (first day below 90F) before I'm driving on the lawn.

Yeah, she is up coast of Boston. Dry as heck here. We've had about .04" rain in a month. Normal is 1.49". At this rate I will not be mowing again until Sept.. If you've been watching the Opens you've seen how dry it is and that is with watering the fairway.

Yeah, she is up coast of Boston. Dry as heck here. We've had about .04" rain in a month. Normal is 1.49". At this rate I will not be mowing again until Sept.. If you've been watching the Opens you've seen how dry it is and that is with watering the fairway.

Couldn't believe the condition of the course at the US Open. I was just flipping channels and caught it, had to look up where they were playing, first thought was CA, I was surprised to see it as somewhat coastal Washington!

Interesting read, sounds like that chunk of land has been well used and utilized over the years with a surprisingly green ending.

Those bio solids fertilizers they mention are becoming more and more popular, if I recall I believe some are even safe to use on plants slated for human consumption. While the thought of it isn't too appetizing, the bigger concern is for the chemicals that tend to end up going down the toilet that don't break down during the composting process.

Sooner or later we all need to recognize that our waste actually has great value, especially human waste. I can't speak for the Tacoma operation but I know that the King County plant at Renton is not using plain composting. Instead the biosolids are anaerobically digested, producing a lot of fuel for power, heating the plant. They state that it creates a superior fertilizer that is much lower in heavy metals, etc.. than average yard waste. I'm trying to set up a tour of the facility for a group of us in July. The digestate product they make is called Loop. This is blended 3:1 with sawdust and composted to make a fantastic soil ammendment, safe for vegetable gardens. I plan on trying some out next year.
This is the plant facility:
http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/wtd/About/System/South.aspx
I’m not sure about the current generator at the facility but they were testing a 1Mw fuel cell a while back.
http://www.midwestchptap.org/profiles/ProjectProfiles/KingCounty.pdf
Here is info on Loop and GroCo, the digestate fertilizer compost:
http://www.loopforyoursoil.com/#&panel1-1
http://www.loopforyoursoil.com/the-science/loop-is-safe/

Haven't read all of the info on loop yet so not sure if my concern is connected ... e-coli contamination. There was an instance a few years ago of a organic farm in Europe that had problems with their lettuce as being the source of e-coli contamination. There have been other similar contaminations. A more recent study found antibiotic resistant e-coli on BC farmer's market lettuce which is even more disconcerting: http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/...stant-e-coli-found-in-farmers-market-lettuce/ Haven't clearly been able to identify where in production e-coli has been introduced.

Does the processing kill e-coli potential? What kind of costing is associated with loop as a fertilizer? Viable option for commercial operations?

It's starting to rain again, but this time with a tornado warning!

Take care in watching that sky. It always freaks me out when you get the weird sky colour changes with those types of weather systems. Stay safe.

Take care in watching that sky. It always freaks me out when you get the weird sky colour changes with those types of weather systems. Stay safe.
Thanks, will do. Our neighbors to the north are under the gun too.

It blasted through Philly and NJ. 700,000 without power.

Reactions: Ashful

That's what I get for doing yard work ... oblivious but now I have to worry about my Uncle in NJ just across the river from Philly :(

PS: I just remembered, he's in Santa Clara for ISHOF Weekend==c

Last edited:
Waited...nothing happened, not even a rain drop. Everything either went just south or north of us.

Waited...nothing happened, not even a rain drop. Everything either went just south or north of us.
It did leave a nice sunset BBB behind.

uploadfromtaptalk1435114813050.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1435114843915.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1435114895154.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.