Its like the stove "Knows"...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
Two days ago - I come home to a cold stove after being away for a looong day at work. After going through the typical startup procedure, I decide to go out for the few minutes it takes to get cranking and shovel the steps. 1/2 hour later, with clear steps, a well fed dog and admiring a stack of wood in the shed, I come to my senses and burst back into the house expecting to see the needle of my thermo stuck in the adjacent wall...but no. 600F. What the... "Hey, who was the gracious person that adjusted the primary air?" I asked of the adults in the home. Both looked at me with the typical "can't you see we're watching desperate housewives look". "We didn't touch it".

Huh - must have forgot to open the primary air during the startup. The glass was a bit smoked, but cleared up within a short time, stove top cruising. "The dang thing can darn near run itself" I thought to myself.

Even with the air at its typical 10% open cruise setting - on a cold startup - It caught and brought the stove top to 600F in about 30 min. Its almost like it has been trained. Weird.

cruise control. I like it!

Did you have the start-up air open?

Not sure my set up would allow a cold start with 10% open and the start up air closed.
That's a really good draft, along with dry wood. My draft isn't that good.

northwinds said:
Did you have the start-up air open?

Nope. Nothing but the 10% primary air. Thats what kind of took me off guard. I wouldn't have expected it to crank up like that.

Our large and mostly worthless cat has adjusted the stove for us on a few occasions. Never in a way that we would have wanted her to do though.

pen

You MUST have great draft!

Hey Jags - what do you think you would have found if the primary was all the way open, rather than mainly closed by accident. Do you think you would have done any damage? Cheers!

Spontaneous Resurrection! Tis a holiday miracle of dry wood in an easy drafting stove. Be on the lookout for faces showing up in the flames.

NH_Wood said:
Do you think you would have done any damage? Cheers!

Naaa...cast iron is tuff stuff. I "would" have expected about 900F on the stove top, but its not like it hasn't been there before. Don't get me wrong - I don't advocate those kind of temps and would never intentionally hit those - but it has happened. I do find the Isle Royale to be as tough of a stove that is on the market. I have been running this thing for 8 seasons (I think) and it show NO wear/tear weakness with the exception of the piece of angle that holds the back wall firebrick in place. Probably only get a couple more years before I need to make a new one. It is just set in place, so its very easy to replace.

And yes, my draft is good, yet very controllable.

***snicker*** "Spontaneous Resurrection" ***snicker***

You must have great install and very well seasoned wood. Good on ya.

Jags, I'm betting that is a lesson you won't forget for a long time. And yes, the “Spontaneous Resurrection†is good! Congratulations to BeGreen on this idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.