Itty Bitty Splitty Commitee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a new stove owner I'm continually concerned about have dry wood. Best way I can get there my first year is to split small (on top of single stack in the wind and sun). So here is my entry:

Anyone doing the same?

Nice stacks.
Is that your compost bin?

I have a mix of sizes.
Working at getting 3 years ahead so even the larger pieces have time to season & dry well.

Some of the stuff I've stacked lately, I'm now wishing I'd split smaller. They didn't look that big when I was splitting but in the stack they look huge. When I started reading here, there was much talk of "big splits, long burn." But I'm finding the same thing that others have mentioned in this thread; With the air cut back, I can get a plenty long burn with any size splits.
Bster, what's in the other stacks you split earlier? If that's Oak too, keep your eyes peeled and your ear to the ground for some soft Maple. There's still time to get it dry by fall if you can score some and split size isn't too big. Just got a call from a guy I scored some Silver Maple from a couple months ago. He's got more (Silver, I think)...going over there to check it out now. :cool:

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Just a follow up on Woody's post. Soft maple would be great. You could cut it in May and burn it the following fall. It dries fast even if not split!

Reactions: ScotO
Unfortunately I'm at my storage limit and my wife's limit too, haha. I have lots of Oak, but other stuff too, I'll just have to pick through it as I go. Once I finish splitting what I have in rounds though I'm going to go through my stacks and resplit the heck out of everything to let it dry as much as possible.

Not a compost bin...ummm...I actually can't recall what's in there. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.