I've gone a little scrounging happy aka Who the heck needs 10+ cords of wood in GA?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoct

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2008
Griffin, GA
I hate working during the summer. So I hired a guy to help me and paid him $6/hr to stack and handle some wood today. I've been splitting the stuff the city dropped off and had accumulated quite a pile but was only about half way done. Turns out I had much more than I thought. We started another row of pallets the same length as the original run (8-4X4ft pallets, not standard GMA ones) and ended up having to stack a little over 5' because we didn't have any more pallets. So after 6 hours of work we worked around 4 cords per my measurements but that was just the easy to split stuff. I've still got another 2 or 3 cords in logs and big rounds. I'm thinking I have enough wood for the next 3 years or more now. I'm going to only work wood during the winter from now on though because I really hate ants and other creepie crawlers. I've got to come up with a better way of stacking though. On a bright note, everything is drying out nicely on the stuff I processed last winter and will be ready by burning time.

Anyway, I'm Doc and I'm a scrounging addict. I promise not to take any more wood until I get the rest of this processed. (fingers crossed).

10 cords in GA. sounds like its time to sell a few face cords

Doc, I got the same problem. Not quite as far ahead as you, but 5 cords split and stacked, with probably another 5 laying around ready to be processed. I wish I had a splitter, things would be easier. My problem is I can't turn down free wood! I keep promising myself and the wife I won't accept anymore until I get what I have processed, but then here comes the tree guys one block over taking down a big maple. "Hey, some maple would be nice to have since I've got a lot of oak, and that takes a long time to season". And that's how it starts. How can you turn down wood when they'll drop it off at my curb? I swear, it's not my fault!!!!

:)

Doc, 10 cords in Georgia sounds about right to me. After that wood gets good and dry you will then really appreciate what dry seasoned wood will do for you.

Now that you are a couple years ahead on wood, just get enough wood for a year each year from now on so you always have good dry wood to burn.

Or should I ask if 30 cords of wood on hand is too much in Michigan?

Backwoods Savage said:
Doc, 10 cords in Georgia sounds about right to me. After that wood gets good and dry you will then really appreciate what dry seasoned wood will do for you.

Now that you are a couple years ahead on wood, just get enough wood for a year each year from now on so you always have good dry wood to burn.

Or should I ask if 30 cords of wood on hand is too much in Michigan?

30 cords sounds like a good #

drdoct said:
I hate working during the summer. So I hired a guy to help me and paid him $6/hr to stack and handle some wood today. I've been splitting the stuff the city dropped off and had accumulated quite a pile but was only about half way done. Turns out I had much more than I thought. We started another row of pallets the same length as the original run (8-4X4ft pallets, not standard GMA ones) and ended up having to stack a little over 5' because we didn't have any more pallets. So after 6 hours of work we worked around 4 cords per my measurements but that was just the easy to split stuff. I've still got another 2 or 3 cords in logs and big rounds. I'm thinking I have enough wood for the next 3 years or more now. I'm going to only work wood during the winter from now on though because I really hate ants and other creepie crawlers. I've got to come up with a better way of stacking though. On a bright note, everything is drying out nicely on the stuff I processed last winter and will be ready by burning time.

Anyway, I'm Doc and I'm a scrounging addict. I promise not to take any more wood until I get the rest of this processed. (fingers crossed).

I'd sure like to know how to get someone to work for me for $6 / hr... ;-) Happy days!

( to the tune "a rainy night in Georgia" - Brook Benton )

It's a 10 cord night in Georgia
JUUUst a 10 cord night in Georgia
It seems like 10 cords all over my yarrrrd!
:coolsmile:

It's easy down here... it's called Alcoholic in a recession :). We ain't hiring rocket scientists here ya know!

PapaDave said:
( to the tune "a rainy night in Georgia" - Brook Benton )

It's a 10 cord night in Georgia
JUUUst a 10 cord night in Georgia
It seems like 10 cords all over my yarrrrd!
:coolsmile:

Or to the tune of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down:

The Night They Chopped Old Dixie Down,
and the saws were singin
The Night They Chopped Old Dixie Down,
and the mauls were swingin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.