Jetstream score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Found a Jetstream for $400 today in Maine. Got it back to my shop. Will not say anything about it slipping off the trailer(!)
Some sheet metal bent, but it needs to be gone through anyway.
It has sat for 20 years in the seller's garage.
Refractory looks decent.
I don't need another project but it was only 30 miles from me and was cheap.
I wish I could call Dick Hill. He'd get a kick out of it. This was his favorite version of the three that were licensed on his patent.

Reactions: MikeK
Which version is it and why was that one his favorite?

There were differences between #175 which I'm using now and #528 that I retired 6 years ago. #
528 heat exchanger was 1/4 inch higher, the flame tubes were less in diameter and the tube walls were thicker. Both units came with the vacuum cleaner motor blowers. What is the number of the one you have there? I did not realize that there were three different models.
If you ever come across a belt driven blower, keep me in mind as I have been looking for one.

This one has the belt driven motor. I took some time this morning (it is at work and I should be doing other things) and pulled the panels off
and fixed the dents we put in it. Blower motor is not starting, but that is not a huge deal. I have to look, I might have a blower on the shelf that I got from Dick.
Dick thought this was the most refined version of his design. I have had a couple of them over the years but never used them myself.
Did get to play with a functioning one for a homeowner who bought a house with a system in place. They did not have a clue as to what it was. It had sat for about 6 years. I tested everything and fired it up.

This one has sat for 20 years and needs some love. There are some cracks in the refractory which I will repair for now. Not sure it will be running this year. I have 9 acres of mixed hardwood here at my business and this was just the right time to get this. And it was so close that I could not pass it up.

This one has the belt driven motor. I have to look, I might have a blower on the shelf that I got from Dick.
p.

The belt driven blower is the best blower with a clean heatexcangher it it gives a flue temp off 300/ 325 F ( taken internally before the draft inducer)if you get 350 the heat exchanger needs to be cleaned .

I'll eventually start a new thread, filled boiler and have fired it twice to test it out without any load connected. Pretty exciting stuff. Unfortunately found out my mixing valve is intended for hot water service to a shower so the head loss is really high. Off in search of another one.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Bringing back an ancient thread, I heard the OP mention on his radio show this weekend that the Jetstream is for sale on Facebook marketplace in the Searsport area of Maine. Tom has more than enough projects to keep him busy. He has been running a call in Saturday Morning radio show for decades and they are available on podcast https://www.wvomfm.com/hot-cold-podcasts/.