Jotul 201 vs Jotul 602 for small space?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cray54

Nov 8, 2011
Ashfield, MA
I happened to find a Jotul 201 nearby at a very reasonable price. I have about 2 years of experience running a Jotul 602. Any ideas how the 201 compares to a 602 as far as maximum output, and maximum runtime at low output?

I'm setting up a small cabin (About 250 sq ft) with a wood stove. The space is not currently insulated, but I will be doing that soon. Based on my experience, I think the 602 would be a bit underpowered for the space until I actually get it reasonably sealed off. I found a 201 which seems to be a similar functional size, but I wanted to get a sense from others before I try it out.

[The building was a chicken coop built in the late 1800s that my father converted to a cabin in the 1960s. It has seen better days, but it will come together nicely.]

Thank you, Chris

20211111_112253.jpg

Last edited:
Not familiar with the 201 but if it's higher output than the 602 I imagine it will run you out of there with even mediocre insulation. I heat my 240 sq ft cabin (insulated 2x4 walls and cathedral ceiling) with a newer 602 and my biggest challenge is overheating. Temps have to stay down in the mid teens before I can run the stove continuously day/night without roasting.

Well, that 201 was sold to someone else. I'd still be interested in specific comparisons asked in the original post, but only for my curiosity at this point.

I'm a bit disappointed, but that is how it goes. I'll keep an eye out for other small-space stoves.