Jotul 118 vs Morso Squirrel for small space

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dlb stone

Oct 21, 2019
Conestoga, PA
I'm looking to heat my small studio in an outbuilding. It's about 200 sq feet and was recently insulated. I know heating with wood is going to get this tiny room HOT but my husband is a woodworker and we heat the house with wood so we have lots of small scraps, hate to be running electric space heaters when our wood is free.

Anyhow! I've been looking into getting a 1979 Jotul 118, I like that you can install sideways to save space, and that you can use full length pieces in there. I also see one of the morso squirrel stoves for sale locally for about half the price (300 vs 600 for jotul). The owner mentioned the crack in the top chamber of the jotul (see picture) but says it doesn't affect functionality. Is one clearly better in your opinion? Are those fair prices? Will the Jotul be way overkill for that space?

Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 1.22.12 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 1.22.54 PM.png

The F118 definitely will be overkill. It's a serious heater. The Morso is much a better fit. Get some good pictures of the stove, front, and back side. And of the inside sideliners and baffle condition too. If no cracks and the insides are usable, then the price is good. With proper clearances and wall shielding, it also can be installed sideways (parallel to the wall).

The F118 definitely will be overkill. It's a serious heater. The Morso is much a better fit. Get some good pictures of the stove, front, and back side. And of the inside sideliners and baffle condition too. If no cracks and the insides are usable, then the price is good. With proper clearances and wall shielding, it also can be installed sideways (parallel to the wall).
thanks for the input!