Jotul 300 - Backup Battery Pack Drained in 3 days

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VolcanoShane

Nov 1, 2019
Oahu
Hi everyone,

I have a Jotul GF 300 DV IPI. It is brand new from 2016.

Recently a beeping red light on the control panel (IFC Board) came on, indicating the batteries in the back up battery pack were low.

When the red light is on, I am unable to light the pilot.

1. I unplugged the plug from the wall, and the beeping light stopped
2. I replaced the batteries with 4 new AA alkaline batters.
3. I plugged the stove back into the wall
4. The red beeping light turned off, and I am able to enjoy my fireplace.

3 days later, the light is back on. And I can not light the pilot light.

What would cause the batteries to drain so fast? I suspected a leakage to ground but can not think what would have triggered it.

Also, why do I need the "backup" batteries to light my fireplace if I have power coming from the wall?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

How "GOOD" were your batteries?
These systems require a minimum of 6VDC.
If one of your batteries is below 1.5VDC, you will have issues.
Always test them with a multimeter before you put them in.

Hi Dakys,

Thanks for the reply.

That is a really good recommendation. At this time I'm confident the batteries themselves are not the problem.

Every time I place new batteries in the box, the red light goes off. I can then light the pilot and burner for about 30 seconds before both fires shut off.

And in three days time the batteries will be drained.

Any other ideas?

I admit that I am not familiar with the Jotul IPI system, but you should NOT need the batteries if there is household electricity.
I agree that there may be a short or a ground in the system, but where to look?
Does the system function normally in the CPI mode?

Oh that is interesting. Your saying that I should be able to run the fireplace even if there were no batteries in the box?

The system does not function normally on CPI mode.

Both pilot and burner will stay lit for 30 seconds before going out. Both flames will go out at this time.