Jotul 350 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FIREMEDIC21

Oct 6, 2014
Easton, MA
This is my first season with an insert having only had fireplace in the past. Did my proper "seasoning" of the insert and had my first couple of good fires. The other night i knocked what i believe to be the secondary air tube loose from the top of the insert. I was able to put it back in but can't confirm which direction the air holes should be facing. I've noticed an increase in soot on my glass even with good fire temps. If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks Andrew

The tube holes should point forward, toward the door at a slight downward angle. The manual has a picture.
Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 5.32.59 PM.png

The air holes face forward toward the glass.There should be some sort of retainer that keeps it turned at the optimum angle for secondary burn.

Hey firemed.. I too have a jotul 350 winteport insert. This is my second season with the stove . Bergen is right about the placement of the tube. I'm writing to you because I was wondering about your air control lever.. I am able to get mine all the way open to the right but it seems as though it doesn't close all the way to the left. I looked up where you can see the lever opening and closing the air hole and with the lever ASCII as left as I can push it.. There is still a small space left in the air hole. I'm just wondering if your lever goes all the way to the left or stops about 1/8 inch ? I'm not having any problems burning but when I try and close the air control fully.. The stove still seems to burn almost as if the air control was fully open. Let me know if your air control does the same thing

There is a projection on the left top baffle that fits into a hole drilled in the tube. It positions the tube and helps support the cast iron baffles.

Hey firemed.. I too have a jotul 350 winteport insert. This is my second season with the stove . Bergen is right about the placement of the tube. I'm writing to you because I was wondering about your air control lever.. I am able to get mine all the way open to the right but it seems as though it doesn't close all the way to the left. I looked up where you can see the lever opening and closing the air hole and with the lever ASCII as left as I can push it.. There is still a small space left in the air hole. I'm just wondering if your lever goes all the way to the left or stops about 1/8 inch ? I'm not having any problems burning but when I try and close the air control fully.. The stove still seems to burn almost as if the air control was fully open. Let me know if your air control does the same thing

Mine does not go all the way to the left either. I believe it is designed that way. I am having similar issues but I think it is due to my split sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.