Jotul 3TD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwk223

Sep 9, 2021
South Carolina
Hello all,
I recently bought a Jotul 3TD off FB Marketplace (made in 1987 according to the previous owner) and have since taken it apart, cleaned it, replaced the seals and any broken/old hardware. All of the internal parts were in a box when I bought the stove. I have re-assembled them using an exploded view of this stove I found online, but one question remains: do any of the internals change or get removed if I'm going to vent the stove straight out the top vs. the rear? Pics attached. The door has been temporarily removed while I replace the seals and hinge pins. Thanks for any replies.

20210909_091001.jpg 20210909_091007.jpg

The internals (baffle, etc.) remain unchanged. Just the flue outlet and flue cover swap positions. It may be easier to lift out the rear and side burn plates to access the bolts. To top vent remove the traverse bar and cover and put them at the rear outlet.
FWIW. I think the stove heats a bit better with the rear outlet connected to an elbow (or tee) due to the longer smoke path.

And grab a couple cans of Thurmalox paint and that old girl will look great!

Stove Brite metallic black also works well on them.

Stove Brite metallic black also works well on them.
I respectfully disagree. I think the stove bright metallic just looks like someone sprinkled glitter into black paint. But Stove Brights Satin Black is a very good color as well for this era jotul.

I respectfully disagree. I think the stove bright metallic just looks like someone sprinkled glitter into black paint. But Stove Brights Satin Black is a very good color as well for this era jotul.
I really like satin black for steel stoves, but have had nice results using metallic black on cast iron. The metallic is subtle and is largely hidden by the cast grain. Satin black probably would also look good, but it is a darker black which looks a bit less like factory paint. I've read that metallic black is what's used by some companies on their cast stoves. Others (VC?) use SB flat black.

Reactions: D. Hermit