Jotul 600 Not An Option; Alternates?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdmaglio

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2007
NJ
Sorry to rehash an old subject, but the posts from the members seem so helpful that I have to put this question out there. I have a Federal Airtight (Consolidated Dutchwest) FA224CCL cat (BTU 24,421 - 89,316 max) that I am looking to replace. The stove sits in a great room (our main living area) very close to sofa / sitting area. The great room is @600 sq. feet, half of which is vaulted ceiling; it has a 2 large windows. Adjoining the great room is (a) via large open doorway, another 600 sq. foot room with high ceilings & a few large windows and (b) a 350 sq. foot kitchen (via open doorway). There is an overlook into the kitchen from the upstairs hallway (where the bedrooms are) that I flow hot air towards via a small ceiling corner fan. Bottom line it is a very open floorplan, including openings to the upstairs. House is 20 years old and very well insulated @ 5000 sq feet.

When the cold comes in, we usually burn 24/7; we usually go through @ 4 cords a year. Having a long burn time is important. The Federal Airtight has done a good job, but after 23 years it is showing some wear and tear.

When looking at options I do not want to deal with a cat anymore and want a unit with a log length of at least 20". My neighbor bought a Jotul 500 Oslo last year, it looks very well built. I looked into a Jotul 600, but it only has a front and right side loader that does not work for me due to various reasons, including the chimney set up. Front loading is really not a great option due to safety screen around the stove ( I have 4 small kids). A left side load is preferred.

I believe that the Jotul 500 is not big enough for my need. I am looking at a Hearthstone Mansfield due to it size and the fact that the soapstone will produce long time heat. Soapstone may also be good due to the proximity of the stove to the sitting areas (not blasting anyone out). However, I question whether it will it throw off enough heat to meet the needs of the large space; it also only has a front loader. The Mansfield gets mixed reviews, particularly the door latches and the ashpan. The Woodstock brand is not an option due to its short log length capacity.

Any thoughts on the Jotul 500 or Mansfield options? Any other options to consider (PE; Morse 3610)? I am not interested in a Vermont Casting. Thanks.

5000 sq.ft. heated with only 4 cords?You've done pretty well.Check out the Hearthstone Equinox;it's supposed to be a monstrous heater...according to its' specs.

Well, I guess that they are "friendly" sized cords. Also, I am in NJ and our Winters have been a bit mild over the last few years (Jan - March) vs (Dec. - April) like they used to be. I saw the Equinox mentioned in the forums, do you think it would blast me out of the room where the stove is? It is a monster.

No personal experience with soapstone units,but their owners seem to appreciate what they call a gentler heat radiated by the soapstone panels.Not that I want you to be a guinea pig......but your place sounds like a good practical testing ground for the new Equinox. ;-)

The Hearthstone sounds like a good choice. You might also want to look at a Quadrafire Isle Royale for 3 cu ft top-loading convenience.

I can speak from experience when it comes to the Oslo (F500) from Jotul. I have literally sold hundreds of these stove and heat my own home with one, and in my humble opinion, best stove on the planet today. Unfortunately, you'll be hard-pressed to heat 5000 sq. ft no matter the insulation. Oslo will do 2000 sq. ft under ideal conditions. The suggestions for the Equinox may be right on. Has the side load you are looking for. According to the factory rep, who I spoke with just last week, the thing will do 3500 sq. ft. However, the Equinox is still in production and currently is NOT available. Good luck!

Boy, thanks to all for the quick responses (don't you guys have jobs?). I'd like to just clarify that while the living space is 5,000 sq. ft., I don't heat solely with my stove (although that would be great). The important thing to us is to keep the living area very comfortable and spread some heat upstairs to the bedrooms at night. Also, I don't want to blast out the main room with too much heat which can be an issue when I get my Federal Airtight cranked up. My concern with the Oslo is that its max is 70,000 BTU. The Quadrafire is something that I did not even think about; thanks BeGreen it looks like a nice unit. I don't know if I can wait for the Equinox.

Take a look at the P.E. Alderlea T6 if you liked the Isle Royale;same burn technology as the Summit only dressed up in Sunday clothes.

Hi,

I like Titans suggestions. I have a Quad Isle Royale and it heats 2500 sq ft just fine. The PE summit or the sundays Alderlea should be able to do that too or even more with the fancy EBT. However, the Quad has top load and the PEs only front.

PS. I have 3 small sons and therefore I have a fence around my stove too. The front is still the best way to load for long overnight burns. I keep the fence about 2 ft away from the stove and that works well.

Carpniels

PS. I had a Jotul Castine and often looked at the Oslo. It should be great, but I don't know if it will work in your case because you said that the Firelight wont work in your install so I am not certain if the Olso will.

PE stoves are front loading so I didn't suggest them. If you decide you are ok with that, then the Mansfield or the PE Summit (or Alderlea T6) would be good stoves to look at.

This might call for a Blazeking 1107,although it is a front loader.Wait, what about the Harman Oakwood?

elkimmeg said:
why not a top loader?

Cant get full use of firebox size would be one answer.

Titan - That Blazeking 1107 looks like a great stove, too bad it is just a front loader. Someone else suggested the Harman TL300, it looks like a pretty good unit, the specs have a 8-17 hour burn time and the ash pan is enormous. I must say however that I doubt that my wife would be cooking me any meals on the cooking grill that they advertise.

Just turn off the gas or pull the fuses for your cookstove;she'll be begging for you to fire up that Harman. :lol:

If I turned off the gas and pulled the fuses I'd be paying the pizza and Chinese delivery food guys long before my wife stood in front of the wood stove cooking. Maybe next time around I'll get the perfect wife that would do that.

Hey,if you meet the perfect one....find out for me if she has a sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.