Jotul 602 CB Experiences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Greatings all, havent been around here for quite some time. I'm looking for personal experiences of the 602 such as burn times, heating capacity, ect. I've searched here and there for info and have found some good some bad. What have your experiences been with this stove?

I'm looking to install this stove in the corner of my soon to be built 20x30 log cabin. It will be 10" logs, R50 ceiling and with about a 200sq ft loft so the 602 will be pretty maxed out heat wise but I'll also have a propane wall furnace to help out as needed.

This will be full time off grid in N Wisconsin. I have 23 wooded acres probably 90% aspen and the rest mostly Oak and Cherry. Already have a good stash of dry split hardwood for next winter.

Ive looked into other small stoves but always come back to this one. The better half and I really like the looks and think it will be a good fit for a smallish cabin. Thanks

Also check out the Morso 2B Classic if you want a bit more heating capacity while staying in the same footprint. My local dealer doesn't like the EPA versions of the Jotul box stoves, but it seems there just aren't many owners.

We have a neighbor that has been heating their little house of about the same size with the F602CB for several years. They are still happy with the little stove, but they also use back up heat, especially during milder weather. However, we are in a milder climate.

For full time heating in a small space I would look at a stove with a larger firebox that can run low, like a small Woodstock or BK.

Thanks guys, the Morso 2b Classic is a looker for sure but corner clearance is much larger than the 602, 22" verses 13".

I dont mind burning a little propane if needed
Also check out the Morso 2B Classic if you want a bit more heating capacity while staying in the same footprint. My local dealer doesn't like the EPA versions of the Jotul box stoves, but it seems there just aren't many owners.

Thanks guys, the Morso 2b Classic is a looker for sure but corner clearance is much larger than the 602, 22" verses 13".

I dont mind burning a little propane if needed
If you shielded the corner you could get even closer. I think the 602 and 2b probably gave some of the tightest clearances of any radiant stove

While it’s a good little stove, it can be really frustrating to load at times if you don’t have tiny firewood around. Once it gets some coals in it, you can only fit a few very small splits in there. Why not go with another Woodstock?

If you want to go classic a Jotul 606 shares the same firebox size as the 602 but put out more heat due to increased surface area. The one major caveat is you want to burn seasoned wood in a 606 and definitely don't want to bank it up at night and cut the air off. Both the 602 and 606 are not designed for long burns, if you try you get creosote. They heat up quick but with small firebox you do need to feed them more frequently.

Reactions: SpaceBus
When I was shopping for a stove I looked at small ones like the 602 that you mentioned. My installer (who I also purchased the stove from) said its not worth the cost/effort to get something so small that you are constantly reloading it.

I ended up going with the Jotul F45 which I really enjoy. It doesn't take up much space and will keep you nice and warm. Heat output can be easily controlled by how much wood is loaded. With the F45 you won't even need to run the furnace while you are there.

While it’s a good little stove, it can be really frustrating to load at times if you don’t have tiny firewood around. Once it gets some coals in it, you can only fit a few very small splits in there. Why not go with another Woodstock?

Not a fan of the Woodstock steel stoves and the small soapstone stoves are more than twice the price of the 602.

If you want to go classic a Jotul 606 shares the same firebox size as the 602 but put out more heat due to increased surface area. The one major caveat is you want to burn seasoned wood in a 606 and definitely don't want to bank it up at night and cut the air off. Both the 602 and 606 are not designed for long burns, if you try you get creosote. They heat up quick but with small firebox you do need to feed them more frequently.

They still make the 606?

When I was shopping for a stove I looked at small ones like the 602 that you mentioned. My installer (who I also purchased the stove from) said its not worth the cost/effort to get something so small that you are constantly reloading it.

I ended up going with the Jotul F45 which I really enjoy. It doesn't take up much space and will keep you nice and warm. Heat output can be easily controlled by how much wood is loaded. With the F45 you won't even need to run the furnace while you are there.

Thanks, the F45 does have a good snug corner clearance, I'll have to look into this stove more.

They still make the 606?
Nope, they made them for many years in Europe but only imported them for a short time. Due to the inability to train owners to use seasoned wood and avoid using the cram and choke method of all night burns they stopped selling them due to creosote issues. Not the stoves fault just the operators :(.

Last edited:
Nope, they made them for many years Europe but only imported them for short time. Due to the inability to train owners to use seasoned wood and avoid using the cram and choke method of all night burns they stopped selling them due to creosote issues. Not the stoves fault just the operators :(.
I had one for a bit. Loved it, should have never sold it.