Jotul 8 for sale on CL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cord

Jun 5, 2006
There is a Jotul 8 for sale near me that I'm tempted by. It's a basket case stove that is fully disassembled. The seller has several ads up currently and they are well written and include a sample photo of the stove assembled. There are no photos of the stove in it's current state. I have the impression that the seller knows what he's doing, just has some abandoned projects he's trying to unload. Can I post a CL link here?

If the picture is correct, the stove would be a #8, the first edition stove. Looks like the reviews for the stove are pretty good. Per the listing, he says that two replacement parts are needed: the combustor and back #103055. I have not looked into the availability of this part. His asking price feels a bit high at $275 for a disassembled black stove needing parts.

The application for the stove will be for our off grid 3 season cabin. The cabin isn't big in footprint, but it has high cathedral ceilings that will soak up BTU. I'm also looking for a stove that will do an overnight burn and can raise the cabin from cold to comfortable in a couple of hours.

Thoughts? Things to watch out for? Run away?

This sounds like a later edition of the #8. The cat was added after 1989 for just a few years. It may be an 8TDC. I'd proceed with caution. The back + cat is not going to be cheap and the history of the stove is an unknown. Post a link the craigslist ad.

The 8 may not be the best fit for the cabin, especially with the high ceiling. How large is the cabin? The cathedral ceiling is going to mean a lot of heat trapped up high. This needs to circulate or heat a floor level may be disappointing. You might want to look into a ceiling fan or a stove with a blower. The Englander 50 SSW02 is under $1000 new. It would do the job more reliably. Where is the cabin located?

Last edited: