Jotul #8 year range?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsR08

Aug 2, 2014
Michigan
Hi all.

I have found at the edge of my property a Jotul #8 all cast iron wood stove. This thing is probably about 800 pounds. And looks old. But maybe thanks to the elements.... I can clearly see the name Jotul, the #8's on both sides of the stove, and Norway on the back lower right of the stove.

I can take more pics if needed, just let me know.

Curious of year and weather it may have any value or is even sellable as a referbishable antique.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 2,185
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 529
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 539
Somebody needs to be smacked upside the head for doing that to that stove. With the missing flue collar on the back, the missing ash lip on the front and the missing ash pan assembly added to the ravages of the elements the future does not look bright for the stove. At the very least the primary air control is rusted frozen.

Somebody may have other ideas but I see a stove that is worth scrap weight. Parts cost, including needed ones that can't be seen in the pics, and labor would just not make the stove worth restoring in my opinion.

A real shame.The 8 is a good stove.

Edit to add: I thought I remembered the 8 having an ash pan but checked and it does not.

Last edited:
Hi Mrs- BB, later 8's had an ash pan for an option. That looks like an 8TDC, that's the bypass handle for the cat in the 3rd pix, the air control is the slider about 4-5 inches left of the jotul symbol upper right in pix 1. Some parts are still available, they are quite expensive, from what I can see, it probably would cost much more to get her back in operation than she would be worth afterwards. A true Jotul lover would look at this as a challenge worth pursuing, I'd look elsewhere though. The 8 was discontinued in 1999, the present-day powerhouse F500 Oslo taking her spot in the showrooms.

Reactions: Ashful
I thought the Castine took place of the model 8?

BG- Nope Oslo debuted Nov 99, the 8TDC went away. The Castine came a year or two later, originally as a double door unit. I think the Oslo's higher output than originally planned (70k btu) left a market hole in the 50-55K btu stove (the F3 is about 40K), so the Castine at 50-55K was brought out. It became a big seller after the switch over to single door somewhere around 2004-2005.
BB- Is it?? Thought she was gone, many parts are not available anymore, here in the states anyway.

The Oslo was a completely new design when it came out. It is a side loader and notably larger than the 8. I still hold to the thought that the Castine is more similar in size and style and was the eventual US replacement even if it came out a year later. As BB noted, the 8 is not discontinued and still sold around the world, just not here. The Castine and the 8 are both nominal 8KW stoves. The F500 is a nominal 9KW stove.

Last edited:
Interestingly, this is one of the first of the "8"'s to be retrofitted with a catalytic element. Well, not exactly retrofitted, but it was like a first attempt or something. The handle on the right operates a bypass inside, and the design was soon changed to the meor familiar pull out handle with the ring.

I've only seen one other like this in all these years. I don't think that makes it valuable, but it is interesting. I would date it about 1987-1988, but that's just an educated guess. Anyone else??

And yes, a smack upside the head is DEFINATELY in order here.

Jotul's experiments with catalysts were not all successful. The are totally gun-shy of the experience now in spite of having a good result with the Jotul Firelight.

Status
Not open for further replies.