Jotul Allegash LP conversion...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JotulLP

Oct 24, 2017
Colchester, CT
Hi - just installed a pre-owned Jotul gas stove. I converted it to LP using the Jotul conversion kit that I had to buy separately. Got it all hooked up by the gas company and when trying to light the pilot (pushing in the on/off/pilot knob) we found that there was a persistent swooshing noise (like air going through a tube) and a slight LP smell. We didn't try to ignite... used soapy solution to locate any leaks and didn't see anything obvious.

Is that knob supposed to make that noise?

Was wondering if perhaps the regulator hi/low knob that I replaced with the kit could possibly not be set correctly? Everything else looks good and that was the only thing changed not in the unit itself. The LP smell was faint, and I suppose some could have come out the bottom of the firebox since there is that opening where the air shutter and wingnut assembly is located.

The technician was not a stove repairman - he was installing the LP lines - and he said everything tested out from a pressure point of view.

Thoughts?

Check the alignment of the burner tube on the burner orifice,
& make sure the air shutter setting is correct for LP.
Generally fully open is correct, but each unit is different.
Refer to the manual...