Jotul C550 secondary burn ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tpm1952

Aug 3, 2010
Mid Michigan
Hello All,

I have a C550 that I have been using for about 3 years now. There was no block off plate used during the install. Masonry chimney in house built in 1993.The wood being burned is well seasoned (split over 2 years ago, dry oak and cherry).

My question has to do with secondary burns. The secondary tubes do not display any flame no matter what I do.

My typical burn includes running the fan at its lowest setting and with the draft half way open. Are there any obvious things I should check?

Thanks, Tom (Michigan)

Last edited:
The further you close the draft, the more air will be pulled from other locations such as secondaries. That could be one thing. If you have well seasoned wood, i would think the draft would be fully closed. The only time mine isn't fully closed is when starting a fire, other than that i barely touch it.

Check that the skamol bricks in the baffle are intact and properly seated. I would also want to know the stove top temp while operating. I keep an eye on mine by having a stove thermometer in the vent a few inches back.

If the wood is burning vigorously and the brick and glass arestaying reasonably clean then cut back more on the air. How often do you have it swept?

Check that the skamol bricks in the baffle are intact and properly seated. I would also want to know the stove top temp while operating. I keep an eye on mine by having a stove thermometer in the vent a few inches back.

If the wood is burning vigorously and the brick and glass are staying reasonably clean then cut back more on the air. How often do you have it swept?
Wood is burning well. No bldup on glass at all. Have not swept it yet but always burning seasoned wood. Are you saying that secondaries will only work if damper all the way closed? bricks look fine. I have an IR gun. What should temp typically be on pipe to get the secondaries?

Last edited:
im saying that with the primary air control more open, most of the air flow is coming from there and overwhelming other areas like the doghouse and secondary air

Agree w/ @EJL923, once the fire is sufficiently rolling shut the primary air all the way and see what happens.

Did you look up and see if the baffles and skamol bricks are all seated and everything is in place?

If you haven't ever cleaned it you might want to drop the baffles since they accumulate ash etc. Not sure if its possible but suppose you have a blockage of air too.