Jotul Castine F400 - Potential Ash Pan Substitute Idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barnuba

Feb 10, 2011
South Central PA
I was reading about the new Jotul F55 and understand that it does not have an ash pan. So here goes my idea: I am currently running a Castine and do not utilize the ash pan - it has been full since the start of the season - I just scoop out the ash from the firebox as needed. Would it add any value to just remove the ash pan entirely and install firebricks in place of the ash pan? Interested in hearing some thoughts on this idea...

I think you wouldn't see any noticeable difference in performance. You might void the waranty though. I wonder if it could make the floor of the stove too hot and possibly warp?

Status
Not open for further replies.