Jotul Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f700

Jan 8, 2008
New Hampshire
Okay. Here is my dilema. Last year, I installed my Castine in from of my ZC fireplace per Jotuls installation instructions, etc. Before the install, I replaced all the sheet rock around the ZC with cement board and then reapplied my real 1/2" clay bricks. The stove sits 20" from the front of the ZC. My question is, I have the rear heat shield on, but hate its looks. Seems to me since the ZC had actual fire closer to the wall then the stove, I should be able to take this off, plus the ZC is still open behing the Stove so there is plenty of air circulation behind the stove. Thoughts about removing this? My mantel is high and far enough away as well.

Check your install manual for the rear clearances TO COMBUSTIBLES...
If you mounted your backer board DIRECTLY onto the framing studs, you may not have the proper clearance -
because the clearance is taken from the studs...the backer board is not changing the clearance
General rule of thumb is to mount steel stud - on the flat - & mount the backer board on them...l
Leaving a min 1" air gap at the floor & at the ceiling...
If you meet the specs with your existing set-up, you can eliminate the heat shield.
If not, you have no choice, unless you move the stove further away from the wall

I went home yesterday and checked to make sure but I can hardly see my rear heat shield unless I am near it. It blends in very well. I was wondering how it ruined the look for you? Just curious.................

Status
Not open for further replies.