Jotul F118 to replace my old Shenandoah wood heater?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

autumn_song

Oct 8, 2017
New England
Hello to all,
I'm new here, though not new to wood heating. (But I'm new to the vast wealth of wood heating information I've been gleaning over the past week or so, reading through the forum! Thank you to all who share.)

When we bought our house, it came with an old Shenandoah wood heater. It's just a big old box, but it heats the upstairs (split level ranch, 1100 sq. ft.) to a cozy 70 degrees (and would get warmer that that if we didn't regulate it). We're replacing it because it has a thin and warped patch on the back.
http://www.alternativeheatingsolution.com/shenandoah-wood-heaters/r77e-wood

If you know these split-level ranches (built in the '60's and '70's), the basement is fully open to the stairs leading to the main level, and the heat basically has nowhere to go but up. So although it sounds like the heat is coming from far away, it isn't. And 1100 sq. ft. , open concept floor plan upstairs, isn't that big of a space to heat.

My question concerns a (used but newer, EPA regulated, with the air tubes, not the older) Jotul F118 that we're considering picking up. It seems similar in size (specs), only slightly smaller, so I'm wondering if it is going to heat as well as that "big old box." (I know it looks ugly, but my how it could heat.) For reference, the Shenandoah is 33 x 18.5 x 32 (h/w/d) versus the Jotul at 30.5 x 14 x 31.5.

Do you think I'll be okay heating my house just as well?

Thank you!

Jotul makes some great stoves but the EPA version of the 118 was not their best, particularly the earlier ones. The secondary rack tended to warp. It sounds like it would heat the house ok though.