Jotul F3 CB N/S or E/W

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnKoP

Sep 29, 2013
Hi , I am very happy with this stove, works great burning well sesoned wood. Just thinking ( possibly too much :) ). Due to a small firebox I can only put so much wood. Will it be any advantage to load it N/S ?. Using a shorter splits . It will be more work cuting and spliting.

Yes, more work and a bit more challenging to stack also, but you will get longer & hotter burns by being
able to pack it fuller.

Personally I don't think youl will gain worth the effort. The F3 would take really, really short splits for N/S burning. And it is going to burn them faster that way.

Personally I don't think youl will gain worth the effort. The F3 would take really, really short splits for N/S burning. And it is going to burn them faster that way.

We actually went through the same exercise with a smaller stove we once had & found out that fuel seemed to coal better - could pack
it a lot tighter too for longer/hotter burns. E/W setup......not so much. Like you noted although, more work to prep.

Nothing lost to cut up a few splits and give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.