Jotul F305 Damage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LeeOz

May 21, 2021
Australia
Hi,

Cleaning out the stove we noticed this damage on the bottom towards the front. It’s like a chunk of metal has broken off. Has anyone had anything like this? I’m wondering if we could have burned too hot or how this could have happened and if the stove is still safe. It’s less than a couple of years old so I’m surprised this happened and would really appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
Leonie

0F776F5E-C28F-415A-A298-232D8ABA2BB9.jpeg 995CA8E1-C2A7-4EC7-A88F-BD6E46252130.jpeg D3662DA5-B763-4356-9F9B-B75B79A7E92D.jpeg 9B5FAEF0-A79C-4207-9F98-79B440CEA9E0.jpeg

are you sure it's metal? or cement?
I've had a small piece of cement break loose, seems it was excess and no harm was done.

Reactions: LeeOz
hit it with hammer see if it crumbles,if it does just to make sure no leaks wait till it's dark and check with flashlight on inside while someone looks on the outside for any light

hit it with hammer see if it crumbles,if it does just to make sure no leaks wait till it's dark and check with flashlight on inside while someone looks on the outside for any light
No, don't destroy it, just inspect it carefully and determine if it's metal or not. Let us know. It might be a healthy bead of ceramic ooze.

Yes, do the light leak test to be sure there are no air leaks in that area.

Thanks, we will do the light test tonight.
It is cement. It seems like it is in a place to seal where the metal joins.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.
L

You are right - it is actually cement
Jotul assembles their stoves with a generous amount of cement and ooze at the seams is common. If there are no leaks, all is well. You could slather in some stove cement into that gap for peace of mind.

Jotul assembles their stoves with a generous amount of cement and ooze at the seams is common. If there are no leaks, all is well. You could slather in some stove cement into that gap for peace of mind.
Thank you. We did the light test and no light leaked so I am feeling more confident to light it again now.
Thanks again.