Jotul F500 Oslo Burn Time Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
you can put a damper on the flue, but IMO you won't achieve the results you are looking for without fixing that air leak.

Pretty certain you need a flue damper. Easy to install, inexpensive, so get that issue out of the way ASAP. You will find a tremendous decrease in air flow, longer burn times, and less heat lost up the chimney, lower wood consumption. Don't know what stovepipe you have, but if the company makes a section with integral damper, I'd get that. If you are connected to a liner, perhaps you can get an integral unit that you can install on the exit collar from your stove. I suspect the integral units usually close a bit more completely, and I suspect you will need that. My chimney is shorter than yours, I got an impressively constructed integral pipe section damper from ICC, burn at all times with it fully closed (except the first five minutes max, when the fire is just starting), and I still have an impressive draft. But the stove is much more controllable, the wood usage is down, heat output is up, internal flue temps are down, and heat is retained in the firebox longer giving it more time to radiate into the room. .

Several people have mentioned that the door may be adjustable, and you quote Jotul as saying the door has the spring tensioner closure. If that spring is on the stove and not the door, then changing doors will not change the adjustment, if it needs adjusting.

Wherever it is located, have you both tried adjusting it and made certain it is not broken?

I think you should verify that there is an actual air leak first. Do the incense trick around the doors to see if it's pulling in the smoke. I personally think this is an operator issue combined with the strong draft - Not saying you're not capable of running the stove correctly, but there is a learning curve.

Pretty certain you need a flue damper

Is this something recommended with an epa stove. Not saying its wrong, just asking

I think you should verify that there is an actual air leak first. Do the incense trick around the doors to see if it's pulling in the smoke

do what claydog said, that is the trick for finding leaks

That's what I'm considering.

Not through my own fault I did my initial burn ins as the manual stated

If you warped the stove you would have had to hit 800+ temps for extended periods of time which would have left discoloration of the paint. I don't think this is the case.

Gaskets are not that airtight, I've had reverse draft where smoke was pushed out past door gasket into the room. Nothing wrong with the gasket or door. If the draft is that strong it could pull air through otherwise good gaskets. Get your stove installer to measure the draft.

35 ft. is ALOT of chimney. I bet u can hear it sucking from the other rooms

Will do all the above I've scheduled the store and installer to take a look again.

They did the incense around it last time and it came back negative for issues.

Could the stove be warped from its manufacture? Unlikely but possible

Will do all the above I've scheduled the store and installer to take a look again.

They did the incense around it last time and it came back negative for issues.

Could the stove be warped from its manufacture? Unlikely but possible

If they already checked and it's not pulling in air then you know what the problem is - The strong draft. A flue damper should alleviate that issue.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Place a good straight edge on the surfaces in question to check flatness.

Just as a draft can be too little for an EPA stove, it can also be too much.

So, yes, flue dampers a re strongly indicated for EPA stoves, in the right set of circumstances. Woodstock, for instance, advised me to get one shortly after I purchased my PH from them. The change from a rear exit to a top exit was enough to increase my draft beyond the critical point of getting optimal performance from my stove.

Reactions: Plow Boy
Correct. Same advise is given in the Jotul manual.

Reactions: Plow Boy
I guess it is the same principle as the vc acclaim i'm bout to install. (new tread with pics to follow soon)

I feel for your troubles NE. Sounds like dealer is now going to help? Very unlikely anything is warped, but I guess it could happen. BTW, did you or anyone check the flue connector to be done correctly?? Another thing to check is the glass in properly?? Unlikely a new stove would have glass issue (but maybe moved in shipment) but flue connector has to be done at install. Sounds reasonable that the real problem is strong draft, or unseasoned wood.

+1 NE. Going thru the same issue as you but with a different stove. Too strong a draft has been confirmed by the manufacturer. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Just an update.

Jotul are stepping up and replacing the stove, I'll likely not have it to use until next season as it will take 2-4 months to get one.

In the meantime a damper will be installed as a band aid measure!

Just wanted to provide that update

Just an update.

Jotul are stepping up and replacing the stove, I'll likely not have it to use until next season as it will take 2-4 months to get one.

In the meantime a damper will be installed as a band aid measure!

Just wanted to provide that update

Thanks for the update. I wouldn't consider the damper a band aid measure at all. It would be needed with virtually any stove you installed with your tall chimney.

Thanks for the update. I wouldn't consider the damper a band aid measure at all. It would be needed with virtually any stove you installed with your tall chimney.

Yep, I realize that, but it will at least reduce the issue with the stove until it's replacement!
But agreed, it will provide a great help

Yep, I realize that, but it will at least reduce the issue with the stove until it's replacement!
But agreed, it will provide a great help

Did anyone come out to look at the stove? Did they determine something was wrong with it?

Yes, someone came out to look can't determine what's up with the door leak we tried a few things but didn't solve it!

Jotul are a great company I'm sure one slips through the cracks every few thousand this happens to be that one!

I don't judge a company on a fault or mistake I judge them on what they do to solve a problem, and replacing a stove even though it comes with a long wait will make me happy in the long run