Jotul F500 worth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rearscreen

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2014
Vermont
Any feedback on the worth of an enameled F500 but the enamel is in rough shape?

I can tell you what I paid this year for a brand new Oslo with the blue/black enamel and short leg kit - $3,000.

An abused enamel stove can be a sorry sight but if this is for the basement then it may be ok. Most importantly is how the enamel was damaged. If by overfiring I would walk away. Water falling on a hot stove can also damage enamel. Examine the stove very carefully for cracking both outside and inside and in particular the interior base around the grate. Use a bright flashlight when examining. If the room can be darkened, shine inside toward the outside and look for light leaks. That will indicate seams needing resealing.

Is the enamel Ivory?? It gets its feelings "bruised" quite easily. (It chips and is more noticeable when it does) How old is the stove? If its just the top, that can be replaced. Need more info.

Yes a little chipping is different from major areas of enamel flaking off. Got some pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.