Jotul F602 Thermal Requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EasilyConfused

Jan 13, 2018
North Carolina
I am looking at several stoves for my small cabin ( 550 sq ft ) I really like the look of the Jotul F 602 which is cast iron. The other two I am considering are the Enerzone Solution 1.3 which there are no ratings for, and the Lopi Republic 1250 which in my parts, is more than double the price of the other two. What concerns me about the Jotul is the install guide, says it requires a thermal pad with a R value of at least .47

OK, from my user name, you can figure out this leaves me in the dark. If I use durock 1/2 cement board. Does anyone know how many sheets under tile, that it would take to reach this. I realize I also have to build a heat shield behind it. I was planning to use slate tile. I am worried about the weight this pad could be. There isn't much support underneath, that side of my cabin which is cantilevered on a steep hill. I'm really bad with math. So please don't give me any calculation methods. I am baffled by them.

Thanks