Jotul Firelight 12 CB question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohlson35

Oct 27, 2013
mid coast maine
Hello ,am looking at the firelight 12tomorrow,w/ pedal and sidedoor,ash pan...cant seem to get a solid answer about the btu output...is this a good stove?..Is this an older model of the F 600?

It's a great stove. As put by a few of the Firelight 12 owners, prior to me, it's the best stove they've ever owned.

That said, I'm confused... the F12 never had a side-load door.

While they're great heaters, there's a lot of expensive parts that can be burned out or broken. Most are still available from Jotul. You will see many with a crack in the inner burn plate (fan pattern casting in back of stove), but this is a cheap ($70) casting, so not a huge deal. BrowningBAR said he even saw one or two with the rear burn plate (primary inside back of stove, behind inner burn plate) burned out, although I've never seen that, myself. The refractory is protected by all that iron, but some clumsy owners do manage to damage their refractory, while removing / reinstalling the catalyst. Expect to pay $400 for that refractory box replacement, plus another $130 for the other two refractory pieces (cat cover and little piece on the floor). The cat is under $200.

Check the top carefully, in the corners under the top load door. I have seen one with a crack in that area. Also, check ash door hinge, as I've never seen a broken one, but they seem fragile enough to me that I could imagine one getting broken.

Good luck! If it's in good shape, you will be amazed with how controllable they are, and how much heat they can crank out.

Oh... yes, it is the same exact primary castings as the modern Firelight 600, but very different inside. The F600 is a non-cat redesign on this old F12 catalytic platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.