Jotul Kennebec 450 insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bad LP

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Maine
A friends son had one installed and he is unhappy with it. His dad and I know it’s more of a wet wood issue than anything else.
Location is the MA/NH border. House is a ranch with an exterior masonry chimney.
The professional installer didn’t use an insulated liner nor did they pack the liner with Roxul or install a block off plate. I’m sure some of this is adding to his frustration and needs to be redone.

My real question is the height. Minimum height is 15 and max is 30. I know the neighborhood he bought in and seriously doubt he has 15’ but I could be wrong. What ramifications are there with a short stack? I’ve never had a height issue.

Thanks

I think the lack of insulation on an exterior flue will be the biggest frustration. Even with dry wood he will have a big challenge.

I think the lack of insulation on an exterior flue will be the biggest frustration. Even with dry wood he will have a big challenge.
As do we. I see black goo forming quickly.
It’s the lack of height I don’t know anything about.

As do we. I see black goo forming quickly.
It’s the lack of height I don’t know anything about.
It wouldn't hurt to make it taller. I'm sure his liner can be fitted with an adapter to transition to class A.

With decent wood, he should be ok from a heating standpoint with what he has. Block off plate would have been best. That does not take away from the fact that code likely not followed with uninsulated liner.

Reactions: SpaceBus
With decent wood, he should be ok from a heating standpoint with what he has. Block off plate would have been best. That does not take away from the fact that code likely not followed with uninsulated liner.
It passed Inspection. Job was all above board but the installer we think was a hack. We know the chimney has a clay liner.
Just concerned that the “assumed” short chimney is going to give him grief.