Jotul Kennebec vs Napolean 1401

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

esh21167

Dec 27, 2007
Central PA
I think I've narrowed my insert selection down to these two inserts. Can anyone give input on these two kind of head to head. My house is 2 story 1500 SF (90 years old, little insulation) with a 22 x 18 addition (which I'm not expecting to get heat to given its location). The Napolean shows a high burn output of 70,000 BTU's and the Kennebec only shows 50,000. Napolean SF 1000-2000, Kennebec SF up to 1600. From reading here, owners of both seem to love both. Wife and I are leaning toward the Kennebec due to appearance, but I'm a little concerned about its capacity.

Thanks.

I've heated with a Napoleon 1401 for 10 years and am very happy with it.

I have a friend who bought a Jotul that looks just like the Kennebeck, I can't be sure that it's exactly the same model. They moved last fall. He liked it, but every time I was over there, the glass was always fogged up with creosote. I don't know how he was running it, but it didn't give me a good feel about the stove.

Hopefully somebody here with one of the Jotuls can comment on how clean it runs. If it's EPA certified then it shouldn't be running with gooped up glass.

Dan

Any stoves glass with "goop" up if you dont burn it hot enough.

It pretty much boils down to the one you like to look at at this point. They are both nice inserts and either will do a good heating job for you.

I should say the reason I've narrowed down to these two is that I have found private deals for each at good prices.

I agree with the one with the biggest firebox. Jotul doesn't list their size but a thread here concluded it to be about 2.1 CF, pretty much the same as the 1401 @ 2.25. With the firebox size so close any thoughts on why the Jotul only lists 55,00 BTU & 1600 SF to the Napolean's 70,000 BTU. & 2000 SF. Are these numbers really accurate anyway?

You might want to check but I would be willing to bet that Jotul is using the default EPA BTU number and Napoleon is using a "with cord wood" number. Lots of stove makers do that. It represents a number that they got in the lab firing the crap out of the stove. And I also would bet that it was the freestanding version, not the insert.

Not sure BrotherBart. The Napolean shows 11,400-41,300 with EPA test wood and their own test with cord wood @ 70,000.
The Kennebec manual only states 55,000 with the note "Maximum Heat Output based on total kilograms of dry wood burned in a one hour period". Is that with EPA test wood? If so, then it would seem to outperform the 1401.

I was considering those two when looking for inserts too (actually, the bigger Jotul).

The Jotul units are nearly flush with the fireplace front, where the Napoleon 1401 has a 8" steel top to warm things. The price of the 1401 is about half compared to the Jotul.

Here is my 1401 (I usually have humidifier on shelf, also handy for heating pizza on alum foil) and surrounding are in need of cleaning.
PICT0027.jpg

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The Napoleon projects much farther into the room. Good for heat distribution, but not so good if you have a nice wooden mantle above it.

I get great heat out of my Napoleon 1402, long burns too...I can re-light without kindling 12 hours later. What's nice as well is that the firebox is roughly square, allowing for E/W and N/S loading, so you can have great control over how much heat you want out of it. The blowers are noisy though. I just took it apart this morning and shimmed the motor a bit to lessen the vibration. I have a big, open floor plan, with 20' vaulted ceilings. It's also a VERY drafty house. It keeps my furnace off for the most part. I'll try to post some pics soon.

stoncold said:
I get great heat out of my Napoleon 1402, long burns too...

BTW, internally the 1401 and 1402 are identical, sheet metal on the front is the only difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.