Jotul Oslo 500 - soon to be obsolete?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I really thought about it. The Old Testament is rich with references to burnt offerings. The frequency of burning could be explained using Scripture. Just as well moving to another county. Up here, there are many who use wood stoves as their sole source of heat. If the AQMD tried expanding their influence up here, I would imagine that the hanging pole on the building in Placerville would be dusted off to be used again...

This thread brings up a in my opinion a valid point on epa stoves, especially ones with secondary re-burn (tube stoves)
I have noticed some new cheaper stoves are coming without primary air adjusters, so basically these stoves are built to run wide open. That's fine in a controlled lab but in the true wood burning world there are just to many uncontrollable conditions that could make these stoves more dangerous to operate. Think about it, we all have different types of cord wood, some drier than others, our chimneys are different, some have stronger drafts that others.
I truly hope the larger stove manufactures take this into account and don't cheap out by just altering the primary air controls to get hotter burns, if anything all major stove manufactures should be lobbying the feds to keep solid fuel stoves at the current allowable emissions.

i looked at a Jotul 500 yesterday and really like the big glass up front. One thing holding me back is the fact that it will soon be illegal to sell because it has no catalyst. I’ve got an old Upland 207 I need to replace, but i’m wondering if it makes sense to replace with a new stove that will itself be obsolete.

I’d love to get s VC Defiant but the rear flue exit is just 1” too high, so the Jotul is the biggest stove I can get now and still fit the existing masonry chimney.

So, is it a good bet that Jotul will come out with a 500 sized stove with a catalyst next year?

See H.R. 453. These EPA standards have been post poned for three years. The legislation was introduced by rep. Collin Peterson of Minnesota. It has passed in Congress. Also with the on-going government shut-down, many of these unneeded agencies will be handing out permanent pink slips very soon. Buy the stove you want and heat your home.

See H.R. 453. These EPA standards have been post poned for three years. The legislation was introduced by rep. Collin Peterson of Minnesota. It has passed in Congress. Also with the on-going government shut-down, many of these unneeded agencies will be handing out permanent pink slips very soon. Buy the stove you want and heat your home.
What agencies do you think are unneeded?

I went by a Jotul dealer today that was reducing their Jotul 500s due to new 2020 models. The dealer told me that the new regulation was requiring
stoves, with front opening doors, to also have built in screens. huh? Isn't that usually an optional accessory? No mention of new models having to have cats.

I'm considering retiring my VC Dutchwest Sequoia, which DOES have a cat. It is over twenty years old and I've rebuilt it once due to a warped upper inter-plate. It has been a decent stove for all these years, but I'm hoping for something with a longer burn time.

The Jotul 500 looks like it'll do the job, but does it really provide good heat with only one damper, down low in the front? Can you control the burn that well? I'm use to a primary damper and a secondary damper....fiddling with the stove, I guess.

Anyway, feedback? What say ye? Jotul 500?

I went by a Jotul dealer today that was reducing their Jotul 500s due to new 2020 models. The dealer told me that the new regulation was requiring
stoves, with front opening doors, to also have built in screens. huh? Isn't that usually an optional accessory? No mention of new models having to have cats.

I'm considering retiring my VC Dutchwest Sequoia, which DOES have a cat. It is over twenty years old and I've rebuilt it once due to a warped upper inter-plate. It has been a decent stove for all these years, but I'm hoping for something with a longer burn time.

The Jotul 500 looks like it'll do the job, but does it really provide good heat with only one damper, down low in the front? Can you control the burn that well? I'm use to a primary damper and a secondary damper....fiddling with the stove, I guess.

Your dealer is very misinformed. The screen thing is for gas stoves not wood and it has been in effect a few years now. And new stoves absolutly do not need cats they just need to meet new emissions standards. There are already non cat tube stoves that meet those standards and cat stoves that dont.

Reactions: jotulguy

The 500 is an excellent choice. I loved mine.

I'm getting ready to get back in he wood burning game with a Hase Tula. The Hearthstone dealer I'm getting from is also is a Jotul dealer and he said Jotul will be pulling out of the US market when the new EPA regulations go into effect.

(Boy, do I need to update my signature! LOL)

I'm getting ready to get back in he wood burning game with a Hase Tula. The Hearthstone dealer I'm getting from is also is a Jotul dealer and he said Jotul will be pulling out of the US market when the new EPA regulations go into effect.

I find that very hard to believe.

I find that very hard to believe.

I did too but people probably said the same thing before Caterpillar pulled out of the truck diesel market.

I did too but people probably said the same thing before Caterpillar pulled out of the truck diesel market.
If that were the case why did they just expand their production facility in Maine bringing all northamerican production here? That move was made long after they knew what the new regs we're. It simply makes no sense for them to do that a couple years before abandoning the market due to a widely know set of regulations.

This is simply not true. Just a rumor being spread by some of the competition.

Reactions: bholler
This is simply not true. Just a rumor being spread by some of the competition.
He's a Jotul dealer, not sure how he's the competition?

I'm not saying it's true, just reporting what I was told.

He also sells other stoves and gets input from those suppliers that may not be truthful. There is tons of misinformation out there about the new regs and some sales reps are purposely misrepresenting things.

Reactions: jotulguy

The other manufacturers of stoves. Not the dealers. Sorry for the confusion.

From photos I would guess the Sequoia has about the same capacity as the Oslo. If so you will not get longer burn times with the Oslo. Even size for size a cat stove will usually permit longer burn times than a non-cat, such as the Oslo. Not more total heat necessarily, but a cat usually gives you more flexibility over the burn cycle.

From photos I would guess the Sequoia has about the same capacity as the Oslo. If so you will not get longer burn times with the Oslo. Even size for size a cat stove will usually permit longer burn times than a non-cat, such as the Oslo. Not more total heat necessarily, but a cat usually gives you more flexibility over the burn cycle.
I believe you posted in the wrong thread.

The Jotul 500 is a great stove. 10 years on mine, with more years to go. When new technology comes along that is advantageous, go for it. Meanwhile, choose from fact and performance, not rumors.

We are very excited to introduce some new technologies at the HBPA trade show this year in Dallas. Stop by and see us for an up close and personal tour!
Any idea on when these technologies will be released to the public?

From the front page of the current F500 model.

"This heater meets the 2015 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s emission limits for wood heaters manufactured after May 15, 2015. This heater may not to be sold after May 15, 2020."

https://www.fpwhs.com/pdf/Jotul-F 500 Manual.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: wendell