Jotul Oslo or firelight 600 does size matter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heavy hammer

Minister of Fire
Jul 18, 2015
Kirtland Ohio
I have a jotul Oslo 500 and was wondering if the firelight 600 was worth upgrading to or stick with the Oslo. Have no regrets with the Oslo just curious if the bigger stove is worth it or just run with the Oslo until a new stove is needed. Have had Oslo for five years and have no complaints just more curious than anything.

Sounds like the Oslo is a good match for you setup. I would stick with it.

I think the biggest reason to make the switch from the Oslo to the Firelight would be the need for the right side door rather than the left.

Thanks claydogg and begreen appreciate the input sometimes you start to second guess your decision. The Oslo is a great stove just been doing some looking into the firelight.

It is a larger firebox, and more fuel means longer burn time. More fuel also means longer periods of high output during the burning cycle - this could be good, or bad, depending upon your needs. Modern non-cat EPA stoves are not great at allowing you to regulate the output, but there is enough control that you ought to be able to keep the output similar to your Oslo.

The F600 had two drawbacks for me: the side door is on the wrong side and the thing really makes a statement with its physical size in anything but a really large room.

Status
Not open for further replies.