Jotul Rockland - Cold Draft coming from blower grates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmpjr

Dec 28, 2010
Cen Ark
When we don't have a fire, there a cool draft coming from the grates. How can I correct this? It was installed a year ago and I am just now noticing the cool draft. When it was installed, they did not install a block off plate. Could this be the issue?

We don't really burn unless the temps get into low 40's during the day. Right now it is outside it in the upper 50's and sunny. Inside temp is mid to upper 60's . So not a bid need to burn.

I appreciate any help.

Need a little more info but I think you already know the answer... If it is an external chimney the air in the chase/flue is cold. Without a block off plate that air is cooling the stove. If it is an internal chimney and both the top & bottom are not sealed then the cool air is traveling down to cool your stove. Either way the cold air will drop out of the stove any way it can

If you give a better description of you setup I'm sure you will get more accurate diagnosis and treatments ideas for your drafty problem...

KaptJaq

I would bet that cold air is coming from all around the stove, not just the grate. The grate at the bottom only takes in air, wraps it around the stove and out the top. The cold air is either coming down the chimney from a poor seal (ie no block off) or from the ash catcher from the old inefficient fireplace. Solution, install a block off plate. and plug up the ash catcher. Use mineral wool or ceramic blanket., not fiberglass. There are small crevices inside the air path around the stove which could allow that cold air in there.

There is another reason why you're getting that " cold draft."
The stone/bricks/block of your fireplace is exposed to the outside air.
If you don't have a fire burning in the insert, it will cool to the temperature
of structure around it. When it does this, the heat exchanger air flow can
reverse & warm air will be cooled & it'll flow backwards thru that cavity &
out thru the blower intake grates/louvers. This is a common complaint of
DV gas fireplaces owners who have the "dog house" construction on the
side of the house. That puts the fire place on the outside of the heated
envelope of the home & the reverse convection occurs. Even WITH a
block off plate or insulated damper area, you may get this effect...

Good point bob, actually sounds more like it, if there wasn't a good block off seal the draft would be going the other way

Status
Not open for further replies.