Jotul Series 8 Catalytic - back burn plate melting, although never overfired... any ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tom w

Feb 22, 2015
upstate ny
I've had this Jotul Series 8 AP for about 25 years... great stove.

Over about 20 years the back burn plate, the plate with all the holes in it, eventually disintegrated. Been burning wood stoves all my life, and I've never over fired this stove... after coming up to 550 temp (on the stovepipe) to engage the cat I usually I usually run around 400-450 in the early part of the season, and 500-600 max in the dead of winter, with the occasional short bump to 650 or so. Stove top reads around 400-600, rarely over 600 and never over 700.

This "baffle" is the sole route to the catalytic compartment, so when operating in cat mode with the bypass damper closed, the gases go through it to the cat... and as you'd expect it gets pretty hot, and when running around 500 or so it glows (just this part, not the stove). From what I can gather on the internet, it's apparently designed to help the catalytic burn efficiently, and also prevents some of the ash from going into the pocket behind it and reducing airflow to the cat. I attached a photo of the part.

About 3 years ago I did a partial rebuild, replacing that and a couple other parts. Now, just a few short years later, it has also disintegrated. The stove is going now so i can't attach a photo, but the center is gone, and just about 3 inches of the "holes" on each side are left.

Has anyone else had this happen? What's causing it... cheap cast iron? If I wasn't diligent in operating temps I'd say it was over firing, but it's not... unless this stove shouldn't run above 400. I have 3 good thermometers, I've checked them for accuracy. More importantly, what's the best long term solution? I don't want to replace this $250 part every couple years, but I would like to remedy the problem. I've even thought of getting a cast iron BBQ stove grate and cutting it to size and simply resting it in front of this plate, but if the holes are for burn efficiency, I don't think the grates will create the proper volume of gases...? Any ideas are appreciated... thanks!

Attachments

• jotul back burn plate.jpg
    jotul back burn plate.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 199
It is sacrificial and a wearing part. 20 yrs. of service is a good run.

Last edited:
Just found this web forum and need help on a "Jotul series 8 with catalyst" stove that we have had for 20+ years and she works great and never had a problem until now. I noticed the "back burn plate" has melted and is completely disintegrated through the center of the plate. Jotul does not offer them for sale anymore so I was thinking I would have one fabricated but don't know what the original dimensions were. I have been working with a local retailer but not sure they can get the "detail" of the "back burn plate" from Jotul. Can anyone shed some light on this? I even thought I could use something else to replace the burn plate but not sure what to use. Any idea's from anyone? It doesn't look like the original burn plate was that complicated of a piece...basically a steel plate with vents through the center to allow air flow back through the catalyst...I think. Also, does $495.00 seem reasonable for a new catalyst and are they easy to replace or do I need a "stove technician" to do the job? I saw a post from Tom W. on this same subject. If Tom is still around, I would like to hear how you dealt with your Jotul burn plate. Thanks!

Sounds like this might be an 8TDC. Contact Woodman's and see if he can help with parts.
Or contact a good Jotul dealer in your area.