Jotul series 8

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TSLongwell

I am looking into purchasing what I believe is an original Series 8 by Jotul. I believe that it is a Non catylitic stove...am I correct? The seller states he bought it used and had not used it, that it sat in his garage for a few years. The prior owner used it to heat his work shop. What should I be looking for when I go to inspect this stove tonight, and what are the "reviews" on this stove? I should add, that the seller is asking $500 and that it does have a cracked glass.

front of jotul 8.jpg inside of jotul 8.jpg name plate of jotul 8.jpg side of jotul 8.jpg

Last edited:
$500 is on the high side, especially needing the glass replaced, but we have the heating season approaching and prices are high this year. The glass will be about $300 with shipping and tax.

It takes a 7" flue, but I have seen them hooked up to a 6" flue and working satisfactorily if the flue system is tall enough to draft well.

Does reducing flue size meet building code where you are? Not so sure here, might be worth OP checking locally?

First, yea you have the very first iteration of the 8. Its just a “Jotul 8”. It is NOT the “Series 8” the Series 8 is a completely different stove.

And BeGreen is way off about the glass. Here is the part number-125756

Its available directly from Jotul through your local dealer. Give them that number and they can order you the glass. MSRP on the glass is currently-$129.21

I tell people this all the time, the BEST place to get glass for Jotul stoves is direct from Jotul, they will 99 percent of the time, have the best prices by far.

Wow, that is a huge difference. Thanks for the update. The price did seem high. It's surprising that Woodmans has the glass listed at over double the retail. Wonder if that is a typo on their site?