Jotul spring door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
My door handle may have always been this way and never noticed, but the handle on my Jotul seems to sit a bit crooked on the spring/latch in which it appears to be screwed into. I had the insert installed professionally several yrs ago, so am not sure how all the part fit together. Things are functioning fine, but wanted to see if this is common with Jotuls and more importantly if this is a problem.

IMG_1704.JPG It's a little difficult to see from the pic the slightly crooked was the handle attaches to spring/latch.

I have a Jotul F600 woodstove with a different latch than yours, but I'll describe my experience and it might apply to your situation, as well. Even though my side door handle/latch looks different than yours I can tell you that mine also sits a couple of degrees off center when the stove handle is shut. In my case the handle would overshoot the up and down position slightly and then when the stove got hot it would shift (sort of pop) down to the straight up and down position. I looked it over and saw that there is a large nut on the inside of the latch mechanism that adjusts the tension on the handle. By tightening the bolt a slight amount I was able to correct the slippage and make the handle stay in the tightly shut position (which is a bit further than straight up and down). However, I will say that even after the handle did that little popping business the door always appeared tightly closed and I never saw signs of it letting air in.