Jotul Wintergrill!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

May 29, 2012
Iowa City, Iowa
OK folks, I tried out the wintergill this afternoon in my F50 Rangeley.

I'm in love!! I put on a deer tenderloin and a chop (backstrap) - we eat a lot of venison but this turned out to be the best we've ever had. Our girls (4 yr and 20 months) couldnt' get enough.

I let the fire drop to coals, and had a temp of about 250 in the center of the top plate. After putting the loins in, I added two hickory logs and cut the air. After about 5 minutes it started to smoke nicely. After cooking/smoking for about 1-1/2 hours, we ended up with nicely hickory smoked venison.......needless to say the front glass got a bit dirty but I don't mind!!!!

Here's a pic. I'd show you the final product but we ate all of it.

jotul winter grill.jpg

Nice! I have to get the grill insert now. I grill venison, steak, and salmon in a grill basket over the coals through the front door and ooh so good. I burn a lot of hickory too, its the best. I am going to try some fish over a very low heat in the wintergrill and see how that smokes it. The meat has to be very dry to start so a rub is in order. Im hungry

Nice! I have to get the grill insert now. I grill venison, steak, and salmon in a grill basket over the coals through the front door and ooh so good. I burn a lot of hickory too, its the best. I am going to try some fish over a very low heat in the wintergrill and see how that smokes it. The meat has to be very dry to start so a rub is in order. Im hungry

Yep I forgot to add - after patting it dry I put a rub on the venison. A combination of Butt Rub, and garlic salt. I let it sit at room temp with the rub on for about an hour before cooking.

OK folks, I tried out the wintergill this afternoon in my F50 Rangeley.

I'm in love!! I put on a deer tenderloin and a chop (backstrap) - we eat a lot of venison but this turned out to be the best we've ever had. Our girls (4 yr and 20 months) couldnt' get enough.

I let the fire drop to coals, and had a temp of about 250 in the center of the top plate. After putting the loins in, I added two hickory logs and cut the air. After about 5 minutes it started to smoke nicely. After cooking/smoking for about 1-1/2 hours, we ended up with nicely hickory smoked venison.......needless to say the front glass got a bit dirty but I don't mind!!!!

Here's a pic. I'd show you the final product but we ate all of it.

View attachment 92067
What model does it fit into? I truely haven't heard of it. Fill me in, if you please.

That's a totally cool feature! On mine I would have to use trivets and get the grillpan out but that is a slick setup.

What model does it fit into? I truely haven't heard of it. Fill me in, if you please.

"OK folks, I tried out the wintergill this afternoon in my F50 Rangeley."

Reactions: Ashful
That pic makes me wish I had a F50. Big fan of deer tenderloin here, and hickory smoked to boot !
Looks very tasty Hawkeye:)

Yep - begreen highlighted it.....it's a Jotul. Jotul F50 Rangeley.

It would be great to have a dedicated grill like that. Of course, I make due--something about hot coals just makes grilling meat seem like the thing to do. I throw some wet hickory bark on the coals to get some hickory flavor going. It's a shame I just finished dinner--I wish I was hungry again!DSC00992.JPG

Reactions: Todd 2
Status
Not open for further replies.