Juca fireplaces - Anybody heard of em?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuaviktor

Dec 19, 2005
Northwest New Jersey
juca stoves/fireplaces

Found this while exploring the web. The parent website has some good stuff on redneck air conditioning/geothermal air, but they said they make fireplaces as well. I took a look. Interesting, but has a lot of stuff that raises red flags. Custom sizing for 1500 bucks?

Anybody?

Joshua

Never heard of these guys, but at first glance, it looks a lot like the heatilator type fireplaces that came out in the 70's and early 80's. There are reasons nobody uses them much anymore.

The red flags that popped up in my mind are that nowhere in the description does it mention that they are EPA certified or ULC/WH/CSA approved. They make a quick mention of EPA, but if you read carefully, only as how EPA relates to other designs. And if they are actually building each unit as a one-off according to customer supplied measurements, I can't see how they could ever get any kind of approvals. How do you test it?

I also question their statements regarding no SS chimney liner or block off plates required, from a safety standpoint. And a "wide open" vs. more airtight design. Large wood gives more heat? Sure. But looking at this design makes me think that you'll also be running for more wood.

If something seems (or is priced) too good to be true, it probably is.

OK, maybe somebody else can chime in and kick my arguments.

Every time I visit that site, I feel like I'm having a flashback. Those photos (and the stove technology) are vintage '70's.

I suspect they may still build a stove or two, but if you read their requirements, I think you must be able to walk rice paper without tearing it, take the sacred Juca oath, and swear never to reveal the secret Juca handshake for them to 'allow you to buy one'. This is likely due to the loophole in the EPA code that allows limited production and sale of non-epa approved stoves IIRC.

I enjoy reading that site every now and again. Makes me feel like I'm 17 again, hitchhiking to my girlfriend's house for an overnighter when her parents were visiting grandma.

Uh, oh... Oowie! Another flashback... I'm sitting naked in her closet half the night after the parents returned home unexpectedly due to a big rain storm washing the road to grandma's out. I think I still have a Ked's tennis shoe imprint on my right buttock!

joshuaviktor said:
juca stoves/fireplaces

Found this while exploring the web. The parent website has some good stuff on redneck air conditioning/geothermal air, but they said they make fireplaces as well. I took a look. Interesting, but has a lot of stuff that raises red flags. Custom sizing for 1500 bucks?

Anybody?

Joshua

They claimed to make the best stove in the world back in the 70's.

They have been incognito for over 20 years now, but then showed up again and nothing seems to have changed! I would be very careful until the company proves itself.....what made sense in 1978 is a little behind the times in 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.