Just about to pull the trigger on the Timberwolf EPI22 & Liner - Advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdlev

Nov 17, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Hi Guys,

After spending entirely too much time, I figured I'd double check before making a final decision on the insert and liner i was going to go with. Please tell me if you guys think/know of better options/sales out there, as we're not opposed to going with something a bit bigger as long as we can stay under $3k. I plan to do the installation myself with the help of a friend. Lastly, is there anything else I'll need to install this or that you guys would recommend?

Insert:
Timberwolf Economizer EPA Wood Burning Fireplace Insert by Napoleon
Amazon: $1350
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F1APRDO/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Liner:

Fireside Chimney Supply FireFlex 316Ti Basic Flexible Chimney Liner Kit - 6in x 35f
Amazon: $500
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KUSLNE/?tag=hearthamazon-20

After spending entirely too much time, I figured I'd double check before making a final decision on the insert and liner i was going to go with. Please tell me if you guys think/know of better options/sales out there, as we're not opposed to going with something a bit bigger as long as we can stay under $3k. I plan to do the installation myself with the help of a friend. Lastly, is there anything else I'll need to install this or that you guys would recommend?
You need insulation for the liner and material for a block off plate. Also talk to napoleon about what size liner to use if your liner is going to be 35' tall. You may have a problem with overdrafting.

I had mine about two years. The problem is the blowers don't last and new ones are $140 each. First one started getting noisy after a year and now the other blower is acting up. I run it 24/7 when it's very cold. I was good about keeping the area clean.

The bearings near the motor make a scraping sound. At the other end of the fan there is play in the plastic bearing mount which causes a wobble in the fan when it spins.

I just took a look at the reviews on Amazon and others have had the same problem.

Last edited:
-Ahh-Come-on-meme-43421.jpg

*sigh*...I just wish someone would tell me what to buy. I've been looking at these d**n inserts for seems like an eternity. We have a large, high ceiling, very open house...so I'm looking for functionality and performance more so than anything to help with our $600/mo propane bill.

All I want is something that puts out 70k+ BTUs, can handle a 6+ hour burn time, doesn't have windows that turn black, and has a decent air circulation system on it, is made of quality material and will last 10 years plus, and can fit in a

33.5" wide in front / 27.5" wide in back x 25" deep x 27.5" tall fireplace.

Is that too much to ask?!?!? DLAHGLAKGHALAHGLHALAHALHAHA!!! :( :(

Thanks for the advice guys :(

Hi Guys,

Insert:

Liner:

Fireside Chimney Supply FireFlex 316Ti Basic Flexible Chimney Liner Kit - 6in x 35f

Hi Guys,

Insert:

Liner:

Hi I installed a fireplace extrordinair insert about 4 years ago by myself with the help of this forum. If could have changed anything I would have purchased a free standing stove and placed it in front of fireplace . Free standing stoves heat without a fan which is a huge bonus. If you can fit a freestanding stove you are better off. I love my insert because of my situation and have had no problems with insert just rookie mistakes. I heat a 1600 Sq ft cape without issues in massachusetts which has had some extremely harsh winters lately.

There are many good inserts on the market. The choice depends on type, fit, style, area to be heated and budget.

Last edited:
I just haven't had any luck finding one. I guess my biggest problem is I'm used to buying things like electronics, where you can take a few different items and compare their specs side by side. The only sites that do anything like that (efireplacestore/woodland direct/etc) all want $2k for their inserts...and then you have to add a door...and then you have to add trim....and then you have to add panels...etc.

Is there a site that has an extensive list of the various inserts that are available, that you can search and compare the inserts based on stuff like BTUs/hr. So fare the only thing I've found with an extensive list of inserts with testing and specs has been the EPA, and the dummies just threw all the info in a pdf file which you can't sort or even copy to excel. There are some limited sites that offer something like what I'm talking about, but they only review like 2 brands.

Hence, after an exhaustive search...I seek the wise counsel of the folks here at hearth because I'm at my wits end trying to find an insert that does what we want at the budget we want. :(

I hear you. There are many reviews here of inserts, but not a spreadsheet. To complicate things some manufacturer "specs" like burn time and firebox size can be exaggerated. That is why it's better to focus and give us the basic parameters I mentioned. There are a lot of good choices, most mainstream inserts are quite good.

While a wood stove would be awesome...it just won't work with the layout of our great room. :( We have to stick with an insert.
Maybe a Pacific Energy Super?

Thanks BG...to help here's a list of the specs I've been trying to find:

$3k budget (including a 35' liner)
Fireplace Opening: 33"w x 27.5"h x 25" d. It is also narrower at the back of the fireplace at 27" wide
Heating: > 70,000 BTUs
Burn Time: > 6 hours...preferably 8...so I'll likely need a big firebox....something 2 cu ft or larger at least
Style: Needs to be a fireplace insert rather than a stove...doesn't have to be glamourous, but would prefer a nice window to watch the fire that won't blacken.
Reliability: We don't plan on ever moving, and we just bought our new house...so want something that lasts...we'll probably be here at least the next 20 years.

So that's the criteria I'm looking for. I've found a few 35' liners for $500, so that would leave us about $2500 max to spend on the insert...so any recommendations you guys have, it'd be awesome :)

Hey barf. I've heard good things about Pacific and looked into them. I think the shipping or the cost of the units put us over budget though as we're on the east coast in NC.

To my knowledge there are no budget 3.0 cu ft inserts, which may put a crimp on the budget if that is what you want. Not sure because a 3.0 cu ft insert they may be too large for the area heated? Otherwise you are most likely looking at a cluster of 1.8-2.1 cu ft inserts in the budget range, the Timberwolf being one of them. You're in a mild climate zone so a medium insert should work out. How large an area would the insert be heating? Is the floorplan one or two story? Is the floorplan open or closed off areas (especially how open it the fireplace room to the rest of the house?)

I would look at the Drolet 1800i and its cousin the Osburn 2000 insert in the mid-sized range. They have a good track record.

Thanks BG...to help here's a list of the specs I've been trying to find:

$3k budget (including a 35' liner)
Fireplace Opening: 33"w x 27.5"h x 25" d. It is also narrower at the back of the fireplace at 27" wide
Heating: > 70,000 BTUs
Burn Time: > 6 hours...preferably 8...so I'll likely need a big firebox....something 2 cu ft or larger at least
Style: Needs to be a fireplace insert rather than a stove...doesn't have to be glamourous, but would prefer a nice window to watch the fire that won't blacken.
Reliability: We don't plan on ever moving, and we just bought our new house...so want something that lasts...we'll probably be here at least the next 20 years.

So that's the criteria I'm looking for. I've found a few 35' liners for $500, so that would leave us about $2500 max to spend on the insert...so any recommendations you guys have, it'd be awesome :)

Hey barf. I've heard good things about Pacific and looked into them. I think the shipping or the cost of the units put us over budget though as we're on the east coast in NC.
Price at my local dealer with black door and standard beveled surround (43” w x 29” H) is $2299 plus sales tax. I believe there is also a $300 tax credit for 2016.

Would prefer something at least 2.3+ cu ft if possible because the floor plan is not only wide open...it also is 2 stories...I'll try to snap some pics (if I can ever find my phone).

We're just trying to save money in the long run. We have propane, and our heating bill in the coldest months is over $600. I've got access to tons of wood though, so we're trying to move to using wood as our main source for heating the house on the coldest nights. Not to mention, we supposedly have a 'special rate' of $1.99 per gallon right now on the propane. The rate jumps from $1.99 to almost $3/gallon next year. So then we'd be looking at probably 8-900/month...which is simply ridiculous.

Price at my local dealer with black door and standard beveled surround (43” w x 29” H) is $2299 plus sales tax. I believe there is also a $300 tax credit for 2016.

That's actually a pretty good price. Do you know if they ship? My guess is shipping is around $4-500.

The 2.1 cu ft Osburn 2000 is around $1800, the 3.0 cu ft Osburn 2400 is about $2000.
https://www.osburnwoodstoves.com/Osburn_2400_Insert_Osburn_Stove_Osburn_Wood_Stove_p/obo2401.htm

Yes, I know they now market the 2000 as a 2.4 cu ft stove but the useable space is more like 2.1 cu ft. Here is the same basic stove with more budget trimmings. All made by SBI.
https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...entury-cw2900-wood-insert/p-1444444139901.htm
https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...escape-1800-i-wood-insert/p-1444444141020.htm

Last edited:
Thanks a ton begreen! I hadn't been to menards before, but their site was exactly what I was looking for....and the 2900 looks like the perfect insert. I made a quick cutout with some cardboard at 28.375" x 17.75", and it fit just fine in the fireplace. Looks like it has everything I need.

So, is there a 35' x 6" liner you would recommend that will last a good long while? Anything else you think I'd need for a self installation? Thanks again for helping with the insert...wish I'd come here first!!!

I'd put the savings into installing a first class heavy duty, insulated liner and blockoff plate. Forever flex is a good one.

Last thing I need is the liner, so was gonna go with this unless you would recommend a different kit:
The kit is fine but you still need the insulation kit to go with it.

I'd put the savings into installing a first class heavy duty, insulated liner and blockoff plate. Forever flex is a good one.
Yeah it is a good one but it is not a heavy duty one.

Status
Not open for further replies.