Just ordered 2 chisel chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gooserider said:
...and I'm not going to risk 100:1 no matter what the oil company says.
Gooserider
LOL ! So many of us are old-school. I was even hesitant to go 50:1 back when synthetics came out. Actually, the 50:1 I use is, supposedly, good at 100:1 but it doesn't sell it if they write that on the bottle. Too many old farts like us won't accept it so they package, essentially, the same oil but write 50:1 on the label so we'll buy it.
They're not too upset with us because we are buying twice as much as we need.
Sorry this turned into yet another oil/mix thread ! Back to EBL's new chains. lol

100:1. I do need to kind of wrap my head around that. Looking at Amsoil's site, I'm surprised they cost almost exactly the same. I wished I hadn't just bought a new quart of oil. I'd like to give it a try.

"Sorry this turned into yet another oil/mix thread ! Back to EBL’s new chains. lol"

Nothing wrong with that. I run it at 40 b/c that is what my '61 Evinrude runs with and what I think my weedwacker runs with. I'd rather not have separate mix ratios to remember. Running a little rich shouldn't hurt anything. But I goofed a bit on the last mix. The oil I use is a Marine Synthetic. I picked up 5 quarts of the stuff and when using 6 oz at a time it gets used up very slow. I'm not sure what the difference between the types of 2 cycle oil is if there is one. Maybe additives?

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
"Sorry this turned into yet another oil/mix thread ! Back to EBL’s new chains. lol"

Nothing wrong with that. I run it at 40 b/c that is what my '61 Evinrude runs with and what I think my weedwacker runs with. I'd rather not have separate mix ratios to remember. Running a little rich shouldn't hurt anything. But I goofed a bit on the last mix. The oil I use is a Marine Synthetic. I picked up 5 quarts of the stuff and when using 6 oz at a time it gets used up very slow. I'm not sure what the difference between the types of 2 cycle oil is if there is one. Maybe additives?

Matt

Don't know about the synthetics, but there is a significant diference between air-cooled and water-cooled dino-based oils, mostly in the additive package - this is why the two applications have DIFFERENT oil specification grades, which are NOT compatible. I forget the exact differences, but it basically boils down to the fact that the two types of engine have different operating temperatures and service conditions. This impacts the additive packages so that the oil gives the right level of protection, and combusts properly in each case.

IIRC, using air-cooled oil in an outboard you will have a tendency to carbon up because the oil doesn't combust properly in the cooler operating temperatures. Outboard oil in an aircooled engine may not give as good a protection as it should because it breaks down to quickly.

At any rate, far as I know, there is NO reputable oil manufacturer that recommends the same product for both applications, ditto for the engine makers...

Gooserider

I don't know if it does anything but I put a tad of marvels in pretty much everything. I haven't had any engine problems yet. I used to run a 41 year old 2 stroke engine on synthetic. It was an all original engine and ran perfectly. It had 50:1 specified on it from 1965 and I just kept running 50:1 but synthetic instead this time around.

LLigetfa said:
Ja, that was using a Stihl RS full chisel on clean Winter cut wood. Didn't really notice it getting dull after 6 cord but I noticed a difference after sharpening it.

My local Stihl dealers around here are either a$$'s or dumb as a box of rocks.. where on-line can a person purchase RS chain?

atvdave said:
LLigetfa said:
Ja, that was using a Stihl RS full chisel on clean Winter cut wood. Didn't really notice it getting dull after 6 cord but I noticed a difference after sharpening it.
where on-line can a person purchase RS chain?
The last two I bought from the local Stihl dealer were marked "only for sale in Canada".

Lots of sellers on ebay.

derbygreg said:
can you give a link to the chisel chain you bought?

I don't have a link because I spoke to the guy on the phone.

The chains were Oregon 22LPX067G and were $13.99 each. Shipping was $4.95.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.