Just ordered a Woodstock Progress Hybrid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRambler

Feeling the Heat
Jul 29, 2014
CT
So the wife and I have been tossing around the idea of upgrading to a larger stove lately, and have been doing some extensive research on a few different models. The wife woke up early this morning and went downstairs to a luke warm stove and a cool house and immediately called me at work and told me to order a progress hybrid in charcoal...today. So, that is exactly what I did. I called Woodstock and ordeedr a Progress Hybrid in charcoal, with the ash pan. ETA is late December-early January and I can't wait for it to arrive!

Should be an awesome upgrade for us.

:cool: It's always nice when your wife tells you to spend more money on another stove, but I really don't see that happening here...;lol

I got the go ahead the same way after freezing our butts off last year. She gave me the go ahead on all 3 in out house!!!. I didn't have enough saved for the third since I needed to replace a liner. Progress has been doing great in my house so far. I love having the pellet too, it kicks in when the progress starts to drop off.

Reactions: Tenn Dave
Sounds like we will have a similar setup. I will have the PH on the main floor, and have a Harman XXV in the basement. Plan to only use the XXV on really cold days to suppliment if needed, and to warm the basement when actively down there.

Reactions: Tenn Dave
So the wife and I have been tossing around the idea of upgrading to a larger stove lately, and have been doing some extensive research on a few different models. The wife woke up early this morning and went downstairs to a luke warm stove and a cool house and immediately called me at work and told me to order a progress hybrid in charcoal...today. So, that is exactly what I did. I called Woodstock and ordeedr a Progress Hybrid in charcoal, with the ash pan. ETA is late December-early January and I can't wait for it to arrive!

Should be an awesome upgrade for us.
Congratulations........you will be very pleased with that piece of heating equipment. And it's a very attractive piece of furniture to boot.

Very similar. My house is very old and drafty. I just set the Harman on the thermostat setting, when the house temp starts to drop because the progress isn't putting off as much heat close to the end of burning it kicks on and maintains the house temp. When it gets really cold I fully expect both to be putting heat out.

Your XXV puts off more heat than the P35i. You should be toasty unless your house it like mine...

Reactions: zmedic
That's the color I wanted but didn't want to wait until Jan so I picked up a brown one. Looking forward to the polar vortex outbreaks this year to see what the PH can do.

Great choice! Congratulations on your new Progress Hybrid. I'm writing this as I watch the secondaries kick in on my PH. Hopefully it will arrive sooner than you think :)

I thought about that one for a while, but settled on the ideal steel instead. Let us know how it works for you. I am sure you will be very happy (and warm).

I will definitely post up a detailed review of it after i have a chance to burn it for the last few months of the season. I do a lot of reviews for backpacking gear, so i plan to do the same with this. Other than forum posts with scattered information here and there across the web I didn't find any rsingle eal definitive reviews. Planning to post up some logs of my burning with outside temps, inside temp, type of wood, moisture content, burn time with temp graphs, some video and other good stuff. I have some fluke monitors i use for work and plan to have them set up to monitor stovetop, catalyst, and flue temps throughout the burns so i can get a good graph of those temps vs time and wood type. Hopefully will help out those looking to purchase this stove in the future, and give me something to do when its god awfully cold outside.

Envious. Hope to have Woodstock someday. Neither of my woodstoves have worked out that great and my house just isn't setup ideally for stoves anyhow. Would love to have a better designed home with a PH or IS to heat the whole thing, and pellet backup.

I ordered my PH early late August. I'm still waiting for it... I'm getting impatient and excited. My old Englander stove isn't cutting it and I already have a foot of snow and 20 degree weather here in Western Michigan.

The Progress Hybrid is not only a beautiful piece of furniture, but it is an awesome performer as well. But I have said this many times before and I will say it again, the Rock demands well seasoned wood and good draft to appreciate its full potential. I burn 3+ years old seasoned oak and hickory and the results are spectacular. My flu is clean as a whistle, I get long burn times, and I have tons of heat.

The Progress Hybrid is not only a beautiful piece of furniture, but it is an awesome performer as well. But I have said this many times before and I will say it again, the Rock demands well seasoned wood and good draft to appreciate its full potential. I burn 3+ years old seasoned oak and hickory and the results are spectacular. My flu is clean as a whistle, I get long burn times, and I have tons of heat.

I'm looking forward to the PH arriving. I have to load my old stove 4+ times a day and it still doesn't keep my home very warm. It's located in my basement and is using an exterior masonry chimney. I added a new metal chimney centrally located in my Draft old farmhouse for the PH. I'm ready to retire this old stove.

Attachments

• 1417034312227.jpg
    1417034312227.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 194
I called Woodstock today and got the answering service. They have everyone in the factory working on getting product out-the-door. They called me back in about an hour. It sounds like they are extremely busy trying to keep up with their orders.

I'm looking forward to the PH arriving. I have to load my old stove 4+ times a day and it still doesn't keep my home very warm. It's located in my basement and is using an exterior masonry chimney. I added a new metal chimney centrally located in my Draft old farmhouse for the PH. I'm ready to retire this old stove.
If it is anything like the Ideal Steel, it will be a great improvement over your old stove. LOVE my new stove. It is a real performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.