Just pulled the trigger...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Here it is...
Yeah, I ordered from that "company" originally. They're a drop shipper operating out of a residence that also is listed as a carpet cleaning company. I didn't try to get my carpets cleaned, but I doubt they'd do that either. Took a couple weeks and a PayPal claim to get my money back. In the process, I called Yukon, who told me they no longer make the heat dump and do not have the materials available to make one. This all went down over the summer (of 2019) as I was installing my T2.

I made my own out of a stainless steel access door and a 285 degree fusible link. Possibly not as slick as the Yukon unit, but mine has the virtue of actually existing.

Here's the door I used:

Amazon product ASIN B00D7SVTWU

Reactions: brenndatomu
Yup, I'd call your insurance guy and ask some "in theory" type of questions...like "if I installed a new wood furnace" and "what do you need to see then afterward"? I'd think they would just be glad to be getting rid of that old smoke dragon for a brand new modern clean burning model! (clean burn means less chances of creosote in the chimney...the main reason that wood heaters "cause" fires...plus the HP has all new safety controls on it too)
I just switched insurance company's recently and they just want to know who did my install, and after I said I did, they just needed to know the manufacturers CTC specs, and then some pics of my install (I suspect they just wanted to see if it looked like I had actually followed the CTC guidelines...and if it looked like a "quality install" overall)
Here in lies a problem. I don't want to install to the manufacturer specs. They want you to use that ridiculous plenum and u want to hook the top of the stove directly to the supply ducts. Like my last stove and like the caddys and kuumas and most others

Yeah, I ordered from that "company" originally. They're a drop shipper operating out of a residence that also is listed as a carpet cleaning company. I didn't try to get my carpets cleaned, but I doubt they'd do that either. Took a couple weeks and a PayPal claim to get my money back. In the process, I called Yukon, who told me they no longer make the heat dump and do not have the materials available to make one. This all went down over the summer (of 2019) as I was installing my T2.

I made my own out of a stainless steel access door and a 285 degree fusible link. Possibly not as slick as the Yukon unit, but mine has the virtue of actually existing.

Here's the door I used:

Amazon product ASIN B00D7SVTWU
Nice solve.
Sounds like Yukon is in the process of running their inventory down to zero...kinda had the feeling that's where things we're headed with them.

Reactions: Socratic Monologue
Here in lies a problem. I don't want to install to the manufacturer specs. They want you to use that ridiculous plenum and u want to hook the top of the stove directly to the supply ducts. Like my last stove and like the caddys and kuumas and most others
I doubt the insurance company would question re-using the existing plenum...as long as CTC was met.
My opinion is that the main issue with not using the Drolet plenum would be warranty...which chances are, you'll never have a major warranty claim (like when the Tundra T1's were cracking...they wanted pics of your setup)
If its a choice between keeping Drolet happy, and keeping the insurance company happy...I'm going insurance co.
My 2 ¢.

Reactions: Gearhead660
But just to be clear, I still don't think it would be that hard to use the Drolet plenum...but it would need to be modded, I wouldn't utilize their 6" take-offs I don't think...hard to say for sure without being there I suppose.
I don't recall...did you ever ask Drolet about hooking up to large main ducts like you want to do? (rather than running a bunch of 6" lines)

Ok so my biggest worry is lets say my house burns down due to wood furnace....If I installed the furnace or a buddy who does HVAC, would my ins company give me fits due to who installed the furnace??? of course this is the "worst case scenario"........so can it be avoided?
It is very simple. The insurance company can be expected to deny claims or look for an excuse to deny claims. Anything woodburning is on their radar.

So any type of fire with the woodburner nearby or any claim they have to look into, they are going to be looking for pemit and inspection, and the code requirement is to follow the manufacturer's instruction. So there was only 1 option and not two, install per the manufacturer's instructions, permit, inspection. You can ask the insurer in advance what they require, but it will be those three, giving you only option #1.

Did you call Drolet and ask if you could use a duct connection of X square inches instead of 6 of their stupid 6” holes?

DIY is covered by my insurance company as long as it is legal to do it yourself and you got a permit. You still have to follow the rules though.

Drolet simply said that the plenum is required when I asked. That is all. I had another question via email to them go unanswered.