Just went over the T5. Down into the 30s tonight!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Might have to light her up!

When I bought the stove a few years ago I had to disassemble the internals to get it up the stairs and into place. I tore the baffle gasket while doing this, and never quite got one in. Last fall I bought new ones, but never quite got around to installing them.

I did it today, and doubled it up for a better seal.

I'm expecting pure burn perfection.

I also wiped off the dust that accumulated on the stove since spring. That alone should be worth 5kbtu of happy, warm feelings!

Reactions: kennyp2339
Yeah, NY has a surprising difference in hardness zones. I think LI is zone 8, Schenectady is 5, and up in the mountains where I am at the moment, I'm officially at 4, but it sure seems like 3 fairly often!

And you guys have native cactus!

Getting cooler here at night as well . . . guess it's time to clean up and maintain the stove.

While not in the 30's, I woke up to 51 this morning with drizzle, feels kind of raw out, but its a nice raw since its been a very hot summer here.

Doing the yearly maintenance is always something that gets me in the mood to fire it up! Currently we have 70's during the day and 50's over night. It will probably be another month or so before I have the opportunity to get it burning again. Thankfully I have plenty of seasoned wood ready to go. Probably need to start splitting some kindling.....

50 here in SE Michigan, lit the ashford last night, my neighbor gave me some 5 year old oak, dryer than a popcorn fart. Got the doors open but thats kinda cool

Gotta run over to church to clean up from yesterday’s big fundraiser, but mark my word... I will be brushing my pipes and cleaning my stoves today! I still have the last loads of wood sitting next to each stove, from May.

Last edited:
Our ATV Club picked up illegally disposed tires this morning as part of the Landowner Appreciation Day Clean up . . . guy that I met at my house said it was 38 degrees at his place this morning. It's starting to turn the other way . . .

It never got down into the 30s. I saw 43 when I woke up just before sunrise. It was a good excuse to turn some pine into carbon dioxide and water vapor.

I had a fleece on today. Upper 50s and rain was frigid after the 90s last week!

My house has been chilly this week, although it's supposed to warm up in the next day or two.

I brushed my two chimneys this summer when I borrowed a bucket truck for some tree removal close to the house. I still need to clean the creosote off of the top of the baffle in my fireplace. For the basement stove, I need to clean out the creosote from the bottom of the chimney and clean the connecting pipes, as well as give both units a good once over. Hopefully I can get to that this weekend, as I want to be sure I'm ready when it gets cold enough to light a fire.

The older stone part of my house will be warm thru October, but the framed additions are cooling off quite a bit. 70F in the master bath (1890’s balloon framed), and 68F in the studio above the garage. We’re getting close to firing up one stove.

What?!? It's almost time?!?!? I just bought a soot eater to try and clean my cap this year. The brush still works fine in the chimney but the larger cap can't get clean using the brush. I did light her up last night with a small fire to take the dampness out of the air and warm the chilly house anyone else get 2.5" of rain? In the past 3 weeks we have had 5"+ of rain I don't ever remember getting that much in Aug. or Sept. Fired up and drafted nicely even with 55* outside temps. Looking forward to another heating season kind of. I like heating with wood but the preparation is tough with limited time.