Kawasaki Mule for hauling wood out of the woods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
I have a chance to get one of these at a good deal from someone at work.

I have dozens of trees down in my woods that I can no longer get out with my atv. It's 2 wheel drive and doesn't have the juice to bring out a decent load of wood. I have a small trailer but the atv can only haul it on flat ground or slight inclines.

There's an old logging road that gets me all the way into the woods but not big enough for my truck to get down. It's rutted and steep in a couple of areas.

The mule (4x4) is listed with an 800 lbs cargo capacity plus 1300 lbs hauling capacity.

My situation seems taylor made for such a vehicle.

Anybody have experience with using these to haul.
Wondering how they handle steep rutted roads.

Thanks,

I've never used one, but from what I've read, the Mule seems taylor made for what you want to do with it. If the price is right, you might want to jump on it.

I think the mule is probably the best utility type vehicle for work orieted use compared to a rhino or ranger it would be the better choice IMO

Have you tried a handi hitch on the 3 pt of the Ford? I am amazed at what my old Ford pulls. For the price of the mule maybe even get yourself a used 3 pt winch? I used my friends Farmi on a similar sized old JD over the winter and it was amazing.

The mule would do it if the price was right...but then you'd have 2 ATV's.

I think an older model CUT tractor with a 3PH would serve you better in the long run. With a 3PH you lift an end of the tree and drag it a level work area and process it usually where close to where you stack it...eliminates a lot of extra wood handling.

I've overloaded my father-in-law's Mule on numerous occasions. If it were my main wood hauler, I would upgrade the suspension.

savageactor7 said:
The mule would do it if the price was right...but then you'd have 2 ATV's.

I think an older model CUT tractor with a 3PH would serve you better in the long run. With a 3PH you lift an end of the tree and drag it a level work area and process it usually where close to where you stack it...eliminates a lot of extra wood handling.

I am seriously contemplating trading my old '68 ford tractor and my atv for a "newer" tractor. It seems like every year I need to fix something major with the tractor.
I have been saving some coin for the last few years as well. Just need to convince my wife that these are must have purchases.

Just like I did with our new quadrafire 7100.... pictures to follow shortly. (install not 100% done)

Lefty 68 is very old for a tractor but a 15 yo Kubota is still very serviceable for homeowner use. Sure you could buy a new one but be mindful that within the last 10 years everything's been built with a planned obsolescent in mind. Back 15-20 years or so quality was important in the quest for greater market share. Even if you occasionally put 500 into a repair you're still farther ahead than with a payment book.

The nice thing about that series of Ford is how easy it is to find parts for it. One of the front wheels failed on mine and it took me several weeks to find a used replacement while the dealer wanted almost 5 bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.