Kedel Running nonstop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PFD279

Feb 20, 2016
South Portland Maine
So my wife mentions to me last week the first floor (zone 1) has been weirdly hot over the last few days. I thought she was crazy and was thinking we had just finally insulated the house enough. I checked the thermostat and found it to be 70 degrees. 8 degrees above our max. I went and looked at the readout on the kedel and found that we'd used 500lbs of pellets in 3 days. Its cold, but not below zero cold where this may be occasionally normal.

I turned the thermostat off, it still ran. I disconnected the unit, still running. By the time I had the maintenance guys come by I'd lost 800lbs in a week. The did my annual cleaning and changed the ignitors. Still running. I went and bought a new thermostat. Still running.

I've found the furnace turns on any time the internal temp hits 67.

My second floor (zone 2) is set at 62 and has no issues.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Dead short maybe in the wiring? Ohm meter and disconnecting both ends of the wires and check is quick and easy.

Swap out the t'stats and see if the zone 1 problem moves with it.

Reactions: TCaldwell
So my wife mentions to me last week the first floor (zone 1) has been weirdly hot over the last few days. I thought she was crazy and was thinking we had just finally insulated the house enough. I checked the thermostat and found it to be 70 degrees. 8 degrees above our max. I went and looked at the readout on the kedel and found that we'd used 500lbs of pellets in 3 days. Its cold, but not below zero cold where this may be occasionally normal.

I turned the thermostat off, it still ran. I disconnected the unit, still running. By the time I had the maintenance guys come by I'd lost 800lbs in a week. The did my annual cleaning and changed the ignitors. Still running. I went and bought a new thermostat. Still running.

I've found the furnace turns on any time the internal temp hits 67.

My second floor (zone 2) is set at 62 and has no issues.

Anyone have any thoughts?
I agree with Bad LP and start there.
I also wanted to better understand your problem.
You said: "I've found the furnace turns on any time the internal temp hits 67."
Did you mean the house temp hits 67 or the boiler water temp hits 67?
You also said furnace but I assume you meant Kedel boiler.

Is your Kedel also heating your domestic hot water? There may also be a short in that wiring as well. When my boiler calls to heat DHW it goes almost to 100% power. If yours is running that high that could be a sign of an issue related to DHW heating.

Being in South Portland you are right near Revision (the US distributors of Kedel), have they not been able to help?

If you have your pellet boiler tied into an existing system the controls of that system may also be causing a problem.

When something like this happens I always try to see what has been changed and start there. It may not even be related to the boiler but as simple as driving a nail to hang a picture and shorting the thermostat wire.