Keeping the basement warm with an insert upstairs.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paanta

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2009
SE Michigan
Our house is ~1400 square feet upstairs and 1000 SF downstairs. Downstairs, 300 SF is the utility area and 700 SF is taken up by an apartment we rent out.

The (gas, forced air) furnace only has one heating zone, controlled off of a thermostat upstairs. Obviously that's going to make the basement a bit chilly when we install a wood burning insert 5 feet from the t-stat.

A lot of the duct work is shared between upstairs and downstairs. The basement is almost all drywalled, so getting access to set up a second heating zone is not a cheap option.

Is there a good, cheap thermostat that can read the temperature from a remote wireless sensor? The configuration of the house makes pulling wire a PITA but I'll need to control the furnace based on the downstairs temperature. If I have to run wire, that's fine, but I'd rather avoid it.

I could try to balance the forced air system with the dampers so that the basement is ~70 and the upstairs is a bit on the cold side. When the insert is running I could block off all the registers upstairs to keep things at least a little bit balanced. I don't want to do anything to damage the furnace by restricting flow, etc, though,

Anyone have an inexpensive way to deal with this problem? Other than putting an insert into the basement fireplace for the tenant to use?

Bigg_Redd said:
paanta said:
Keeping the basement warm with an insert upstairs.

Forget it. It just ain't gunna happen.

Just to be clear I'm not trying to use the insert to heat the basement...just try to get as much of the forced air furnance heat downstairs and get the thermostat's input from there.

I'm up for a lot of experimenting on this, I know.

Maybe install a few dampers on the main vents upstairs? When the insert is running, I could use something like that to block off at least a few of the registers upstairs. Heck, I suppose you could wire something in to the thermostat on the insert so that when the blower kicked on it automatically blocked off the vents...

Or I could just walk over and close the register.

Status
Not open for further replies.