Kent Tile Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I had a Sherwood, which I hear is just a Tile Fire without the tiles in the side shields I loved it. My secondary chamber plate was warped a little, but not enough to affect the function.

Sold it because it got to hot?What happens when it gets to hot? Warp?
I might have gotten the one your thinking of in SJ.?? $150 ?
It was his father's. Bought it new in mid 80's for emergency's .Used it but not as the primary heat source. Stopped using it altogether in 99 and sat in the house since

Where in SJ are you?

Good to hear. Yes I just saw your post from January about warping it and funny thing is "thats one of the post I read before going over to look at it. So I knew where to look for cracks & warping. The guy asked what I was looking for ? I said "I dont know a thing about wood stoves and from what I read online they say to "Look for cracks ,warping and rust. LOL like I knew what I was doing
I'm in EHT(egg harbor township)

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Do you no what this piece is ? When I transported the stove I had it on its side and this came from somewhere
IMG_2884.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
And an update ,,,I didnt think Id be getting the old stove out already but I did. I'm hoping to fire this stove up tonight after work
LOL look at this thing. When I bought the house 20+ years ago this came with the house,and was in great shape. But I burned alot of mogohany,& ipe decking. I never found what size room the kent tile fire is capable of heating but I'll find out. I figure its 5 times smaller but 100% more
efficient .

IMG_2872.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2873.jpg
    IMG_2873.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 263
Yes, it looks like a simple wire trivet, not a stove part.

Hi - new to the forum. I have a Kent LEM tile fire. It looks like it needs new fire bricks - several are cracked that I can see. Any parts sources in the US? TY

Yeah mine doesn't have any bricks. Pull the bricks out and see what you have.Did you buy the unit new or used? Maybe previous owner added the bricks

The stove came with the house I bought - I think it's been here since the house was built in 1976 - the documentation is here, intact. I may try pulling out the bricks later this summer. Many things to do before the stove comes apart.

The Tile Fire LEM (Low Emissions Model) was one of Kent's later offerings, sometime around the mid-80's. In this version, the secondary burn chamber with bypass was eliminated, and the firebox was lined with proprietary cast refractory panels, which were thinner but quite a bit heavier than standard firebricks. A center bracket held the two top panels at an angle to form a north-south peak at the center. The panels were cast from Kent's own recipe, and were far more refractory than typical firebricks, creating hotter firebox temperatures and a more complete burn, resulting in a reduction of the Tile Fire's already-low particulate emissions.

Don't try to remove the refractory panels: they become quite brittle with age, and there are no replacements available to my knowledge. The cracked rear panel shown in your photo is typical, and won't have a noticeable affect on efficiency.

Heres a total newbie question and kind of embarrassing to ask but,,,Am I running my stove right?In the book it dosent say anything about the damper ,just the air control . With the kent I get the fire going, air and damper open. Once I have a good fire I close the damper.When I want an overnight burn I close the air down to 3/4 shut.But with the damper closed the flu temp goes to low (which I read it should be in the orange zone on the magnet temp gauge.I forget the numbers) also with the damper and air open it burns through the wood fast. Any tips for the kent??

Heres a total newbie question and kind of embarrassing to ask but,,,Am I running my stove right?In the book it dosent say anything about the damper ,just the air control . With the kent I get the fire going, air and damper open. Once I have a good fire I close the damper.When I want an overnight burn I close the air down to 3/4 shut.But with the damper closed the flu temp goes to low (which I read it should be in the orange zone on the magnet temp gauge.I forget the numbers) also with the damper and air open it burns through the wood fast. Any tips for the kent??
Where do you have the magnetic thermometer?

just went and measured 9" and 16"
If that is on a double stove pipe, a magnetic gives a wrong reading. It will be okay on a single wall pipe. A probe thermometer should be used on a double wall pipe.
When we had the Kent Tile Fire, I got overnight burns with the air 3/4 down and the damper 3/4 closed. Be sure your wood is dry, under 20% MC.

yes its a single wall pipe.Dry seasoned wood.
In general did you leave the damper open or closed when going for heat . I was closing the damper figuring it would keep the heat from going up the flu.But then I read about flu temps which threw me for a loop

yes its a single wall pipe.Dry seasoned wood.
In general did you leave the damper open or closed when going for heat . I was closing the damper figuring it would keep the heat from going up the flu.But then I read about flu temps which threw me for a loop
Closed.