Kerr Titan 101 Wood Boiler Manual?

peakbagger Posted By peakbagger, Nov 23, 2018 at 6:05 AM

Dismiss Notice
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!....and Happy Holidays!
Tags:
  1. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    Hi All, I am trying to help a relative to get a Titan running again. It holds water pressure and appears to have been plumbed into a oil boiler loop so has been kept wet. Its was in basement that was partially flooded so its a case of deciding if its worth getting it running again. It was used until 7 years ago but from the looks of it the air damper control has been broken or out of service even before it went out of service. My Burnham is similar vintage and the controls look familiar but it would be nice to see a manual on the internal details and how to clean it.

I searched and found a lot of older threads for folks looking for a manual. I did find one offer for a manual from a member that still is active and started a "conversation" so maybe I will get lucky. If he does send me one and I can figure out a way of posting it

Its definitely an old school install. No storage and very basic piping. The goal is to see what it needs to get running and then if its possible get it running for the winter then decide if its worth upgrading.

If anyone has manual for to 101 or the wood/oil variant I would appreciate it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Do you have a pic? My father has a Kerr wood boiler but don't know the model off my head. Also doubt the manual is findable after all these years. Has vertical tubes. You have to take a cover off the top where the smoke pipe outlet is to get at them (the outlet comes out of and is part of that cover). I think just two wing nuts, one on each side, hold it on? Might be stuck pretty good it hasn't been off for a long time.

Then again it might be a different boiler all together. His is green.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    I dont have a picture but there is one in this thread https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/kerr-titan-help.121722/. I think its the second one in. Its also green.

I didnt have a lot of time to look at as it was a holiday but I expect it would be vertical tubes. The wood loading cover hinges were rusted shut so I left instructions to the owner to hit them with penetrating oil so we can get it open and see what condition the internals are.

I have a similar vintage "orphan boiler" and the controls looks quite similar. Does your father's have the safety relief plumbed into the firebox to put the fire out if the relief lifts?

It comes down to getting a good look and see if its worth rebuilding.

4. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Hmm, that looks similar, but not quite the same. His box is obvious, it sticks up above or through the top panel. In plain sight. I will need to take a closer look - I think I will be by there later today. My memory ain't quite what it used to be.

And yes his relief is plumbed to the firebox. I can see why they came up with that idea, but not sure it's a real good one. His relief took to dripping once, made quite a mess before it was noticed.

5. chasnaj

chasnaj
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Thursday
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I have a manual for a Kerr Titan Model 101-T. A friend's step-father has one for sale and he gave me the paperwork to research. It will take me some time, but I can scan it in if you still need it. Now I am no plumber, but would like to know what a reasonable price range for this unit would be. I haven't seen it yet, but am told that it is in good condition and only been used for one season, which seems hard to believe since the owner's manual is from the '70s...
    ps- I will have a plumber friend of mine look it over before I buy it.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    Great, I definitely still need it. I wont be sure of the value until I have had a chance to spend some time looking over the one I am supposed to be fixing. I have seen several on Craigslist and Uncle Henry's, given their age and the likelihood that they are heavy and usually installed in a basement I sure would not expect them to be particularly valuable. The ones I have seen are usually asking price around $500. Given their age there would be big question is how long they will still hold pressure. The front loading door and air flap arrangements on the one I am supposed to get running looks marginal.