Kettle and Jotul 118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
Probably a dumb question, but I want to be sure not to put any spots on my practically cherry Jotul 118 (the old green enameled one). The top is not meant for cooking and does have the green enameled finish on it, but I'm assuming it is just fine to place an iron kettle on it to generate some humidity. I won't see any change in color or anything beyond scratching (if I'm not careful) right?!

I like something that won't rust, so we have an old enameled pot that we use for water on the stove. It's not as attractive, but no marks at all so far.

I bought a super-size stainless steel roasting pan and kept it on the stove 24/7. It covered almost the entire top. That stove would evaporate the contents (about 4 gallons) every day, sometimes more on very dry days. The secret was in the very large evaporative surface area. Not the prettiest sight in the world, but it was in the basement, so who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.