Killer Gadget Must Have Firewood Buddy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jazzberry

Minister of Fire
Dec 17, 2014
Next to Yosemite
This thing is the shizz. I duct taped a welding rod to mine to make it longer as it only comes in 16" length. Search Firewood Buddy on Ebay. Only $14 with free shipping. The guy makes them up in my area. The little tiny magnet is unbelievably strong by the way.

sUQjon8tSjqsheE5WyH41A.jpgsUQjon8tSjqsheE5WyH41A.jpgHhjOkqMAQaGWn6GC4JH1tA.jpgy1Ywa0+nQM61w9FmgWmvNA.jpgy1YOv+kKTDKM4OMf7bJe7Q.jpg

Knowing me I'd ram that in my leg on the first trip out, then stab my cutting buddy in the eye as I pulled it out and screamed. I'm not all that coordinated. :)

Reactions: WiscWoody
Knowing me I'd ram that in my leg on the first trip out, then stab my cutting buddy in the eye as I pulled it out and screamed. I'm not all that coordinated. :)

You best just stick with a chainsaw. This little piece of fiberglass with a magnet on one end is dangerous.

Just measure your saw and bar,add a mark at the lenght you cut then you have a measuring tool with you at all times

Reactions: maple1 and Ashful
Just measure your saw and bar,add a mark at the lenght you cut then you have a measuring tool with you at all times

Much slower and not near as accurate that way Ive tried it. This thing attaches towards the end of your bar and then you go down the log sawing an inch or so deep and move to the next mark. You can mark a whole log accurately in seconds. Move to the right or put it on the other side of the bar and move to the left either way. Super simple.

Last edited:
Much slower and not near as accurate that way Ive tried it. This thing attaches towards the end of your bar and then you go down the log sawing an inch or so deep and move to the next mark. You can mark a whole log accurately in seconds. Move to the right or put it on the other side of the bar and move to the left either way. Super simple.
If you are going down the log marking then there is no way that it is faster,you are making 2 trips down the log.
With the lenght marked on the saw,cut a lenght step over as you are moving sideways set the saw on the log as you step and when you have your new footing the lenght is there for you to cut,cut step repeat,cut step repeat...
Besides this is firewood we are talking about,it will be burnt.No need for accurate lenght.
My saws are marked for 20" wood,my boiler can fit up to 26" wood in the right spot,accurate lenght of firewood is not a priority for me.When i go salvage fire-smart wood( wood that has been cut already but is in the bush from clearing to prevent forest fires around town) it is random lenght,everything from 10" to 24"+. Keeps the house as warm as perfectly cut 20" wood.

Ive done this, and it works, but even better is the 18” long stick I carry with me when cutting. I run down the trunk of the tree, measuring off 19” lengths with my top handle saw or the kids’ driveway chalk in one hand, and that stick in the other. Then I grab the 064 and buck on those marks. Perfect 19” rounds, all day long.

I masked my stick with a corkscrew of blue painters tape, and shot it with fluorescent orange spray paint. Once the tape was removed, it had bright orange stripes. Now I never lose it in the woods. I’ve since done the same with my Logrite cant hook and hammer.

Ive done this, and it works, but even better is the 18” long stick I carry with me when cutting. I run down the trunk of the tree, measuring off 19” lengths with my top handle saw or the kids’ driveway chalk in one hand, and that stick in the other. Then I grab the 064 and buck on those marks. Perfect 19” rounds, all day long.

I masked my stick with a corkscrew of blue painters tape, and shot it with fluorescent orange spray paint. Once the tape was removed, it had bright orange stripes. Now I never lose it in the woods. I’ve since done the same with my Logrite cant hook and hammer.

I used the marking stick same as you before I tried this gizmo. This thing is like your using your marking stick only much quicker and easier. Instead of having to handle your stick and spray paint a mark you put your stick on your saw and mark it with your saw. Sorta like using your marking stick only attached to your saw. When you get to the end of the log pop it in your back pocket and cut your way back to the other end of the log. You can also paint it however you like.

Reactions: kevin j
If you are going down the log marking then there is no way that it is faster,you are making 2 trips down the log.
With the lenght marked on the saw,cut a lenght step over as you are moving sideways set the saw on the log as you step and when you have your new footing the lenght is there for you to cut,cut step repeat,cut step repeat...
Besides this is firewood we are talking about,it will be burnt.No need for accurate lenght.
My saws are marked for 20" wood,my boiler can fit up to 26" wood in the right spot,accurate lenght of firewood is not a priority for me.When i go salvage fire-smart wood( wood that has been cut already but is in the bush from clearing to prevent forest fires around town) it is random lenght,everything from 10" to 24"+. Keeps the house as warm as perfectly cut 20" wood.
An inch too long is no problem with your cavernous boiler. A small stove is a different story. Accuracy makes for a much better experience in a small firebox. Mine fits 16", and I kept running into peices that were just slightly long, not a pleasure when trying to pack a hot stove. I now measure for 15.5" to minimize those special moments.

Ya but pouring paint thinner on it at the end of the day to clean the paint off would be a real bummer in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful

That's what I do - just turn the saw sideways when you step down using the bar for length. Once planted again away you go.

I don't mark my bar though, I just know how long it is. And adjust the eyeballing if needed. So if I've got 20" of bar and want 18" wood, I just start the cut 2" over from where bar length says. Eyeballing 2" won't be that far out from 2" - eyeballing 18" might get you shorter or longer than you want.

Wood the right length with no extra tools or time.

Reactions: Cast Iron
this would not help me at all when I want to cut 1" longer than will fit in my stove, and give myself something to swear about.

227651-c34928b27640d9428357fd0c7a52b334.jpg

That a Jazz tat ?
That's one big 170 on he bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cast Iron
I used a marker to put lines at 18" and a 24" on the bar and the saw body. Thats a measurement from the tip of bar to the power head. Normally I just eye the 18" cuts. But to check myself, I just swing the saw so the bar is parallel with the log. I eye a mark on the log. But the best thing is having a 24" mark. My stove will take a 26" split. I get to a piece about 48", A single cut and two exact 24" rounds.

We know....kidding. The Stihl MS170 was designed for women.

i use these as well...they used to be available in 16,18,and 20 in with the wheel being adjustable on the 20 in model..I use mine every time I hit the timber to cut...we will grab a smaller saw and start marking logs while someone starts sawing rounds up.

I used the marking stick same as you before I tried this gizmo. This thing is like your using your marking stick only much quicker and easier. Instead of having to handle your stick and spray paint a mark you put your stick on your saw and mark it with your saw. Sorta like using your marking stick only attached to your saw. When you get to the end of the log pop it in your back pocket and cut your way back to the other end of the log. You can also paint it however you like.

I'm a convert, Jazzberry!

I've been using the 16" Firewood Buddy the past couple years and it's now my favorite. I've tried the tap-n-cut, Mingo Marker, Sharpie lines on the bar, among others. If I only have a few cuts to make, I'll use the Sharpie lines on my bar. However, if I have a lot of cutting to do, the Firewood Buddy is my go to gadget.

Reactions: Jazzberry
I’ve never measured or marked my logs and you could tell by my wood racks, I’d see some that looked so nice and orderly but mine look a bit sloppy with different length logs. Sometimes I’d have too long of a split to put into the stove and I’d have to cut some off of ot but most of the time I’d be about right or a tad short on the length. If I sold wood to someone I’d sell it by the truck load so length wasn’t a big issue then.

Its well worth the little time it takes to cut accurately. Much much better.

Reactions: Ashful
Its well worth the little time it takes to cut accurately. Much much better.

I won’t even take free wood anymore, if it’s been cut to random or the wrong length. Anytime a buddy asks me if I want wood, I tell them, “only if you leave it in log lengths.”

I won’t even take free wood anymore, if it’s been cut to random or the wrong length. Anytime a buddy asks me if I want wood, I tell them, “only if you leave it in log lengths.”
Same here...I finished up last year cutting to size stuff left over from the boiler days...what a pain.

Ditto. I have turned down a bunch of poorly cut wood. Another thing is learn to cut square. Out of square rounds are just as bad as random lengths.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone_Gun