Killer Gadget Must Have Firewood Buddy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I won’t even take free wood anymore, if it’s been cut to random or the wrong length. Anytime a buddy asks me if I want wood, I tell them, “only if you leave it in log lengths.”
Wow a wood snob.Or more...
Maybe a bit of OCD mixed in.
Really we are talking about wood that is going to be burnt to heat your house. Crooked cuts or different lengths heat just as well.There must be a better use of your time than worry about what a wood pile looks like.
Maybe a Big Brother organization,or somewhere else that could really use some help may be more gratifying that perfect wood piles.Then again maybe not.
Sorry just can't see the importance of exactly 16" wood that isn't crooked or cut crooked.What happens when the wood doesn't split perfect ?Go into the trash?
When i get a chance to get free wood i don't care what lenght or type it is,so long as it's free

Last edited:
Really we are talking about wood that is going to be burnt to heat your house. Crooked cuts or different lengths heat just as well.There must be a better use of your time than worry about what a wood pile looks like.
Maybe a Big Brother organization,or somewhere else that could really use some help may be more gratifying that perfect wood piles.Then again maybe not.
Sorry just can't see the importance of exactly 16" wood that isn't crooked or cut crooked.What happens when the wood doesn't split perfect ?Go into the trash?
When i get a chance to get free wood i don't care what lenght or type it is,so long as it's free

Aint got nothing to do with how it looks. Its about how it stacks and more importantly how it fills the stove and burns.

Wow. You’re curiously critical, as if my charity work has anything to do with my wood piles, but you really have no idea who you are talking to on a forum like this. All I’ll say is we should each use our assets to do good works, and my wife and I do that through very substantial financial commitments, but free time is not among my current assets.

On the subject at hand, others can burn the odd lengths, my goal is filling every last cubic inch of my two stoves. No wasted effort, to get a half-full stove of odd lengths. I don’t really care how the stacks look.

I have more wood than I have time to process, so there’s no sense in spending time on stuff that won’t meet that end goal of filling the stove to maximum capacity. Yes, I toss anything that doesn’t split straight into the woods to rot, or use it to burn off yard waste in the fire pit or camp fires for the kids. Sorry, but I’m not going to stack the bad, while letting more of the good rot on the ground, that just wouldn’t make sense.

My odd sized wood works for me since I never fill it full, I always just have 3 maybe 4 pieces of wood in the stove and I never bring the primary air down at night to get the slow burning fire. Maybe because in this large house my mid-sized stove had to be going pretty good to heat the place. I will see how things go in the new place whicc is smaller. Here I have a 20’ cathedral ceiling and the second loft floor and big 19x18 bedroom and big walk-in and bathroom to heat and the main level too. And it gets pretty chilly up here too.

Just use a plastic cable tie, cut to desired length. Done. Fold back when not in use. Cheap and easy.

K.I.S.S. Method
70142AE5-8500-4D37-83A0-C7E3DABCDDDE.jpeg41867935-2FB2-4568-A251-E9828586F1D5.jpeg

My eye ball . . . it may not be scientifically gauged and it may not be spot on . . . but after cutting umpteen cords of firewood it's close enough . . . besides I pretty much always have my eye balls with me . . . unless I end up poking them out with a stick or a BB gun on Christmas.

I saw the same gizmo posted here a few years back and made one myself using a magnet and dowel I had lying around. Worked great until I lost it in the leaves out cutting one day. Version 2 uses a bright yellow fiberglass driveway marker pole.

I do like that cable tie too, but it's nice to have the measure right where you're cutting.

I use a piece of cpvc to get my bearing. On the taller trees it's easier for me to use spray paint and walk the length making spray marks so I can return and just cut the trunk at the mark.

Reactions: Lone_Gun