Kin'lin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
OK, so I finally stopped procrastinating and started in on my stock of kin'lin. I usually make a couple of 5 gallon pails at a time and then just transfer it from the pail to a half round wood holder that I keep in the corner next to my yuppie VC wood box. Invariably I always run out when it is bitter cold and windy and I vow not to have to stand out in the cold this Winter makin' kin'lin. Last Winter I burned 24/7 and so didn't use too much kin'lin but this year the wife said no more 24/7 fires so I'll need 4 or 6 pieces of kin'lin per day. How many days worth do you think I have now?

Since I don't have many pails, I decided to bundle them up with rope instead. That way I'm not limited to just two pails at a time plus what's in the holder.

I just piled them all in one place for now but obviously will store them in a better place for later. These are made from Ash but maybe I should use up that Aspen that's been sitting in my wood box since last Spring.

100_0392.JPG

I'll play. You've got between 125 days worth (at 6 per day) and 187 days worth (at 4 per day), assuming 5 stacks at 150 pieces per stack. How's that? Regardless of my assumptions, I'd bet you have closer to 6 months than 4.

That's beautiful! I don't know how long it'll last you, but you sure make nice kindling.

I'm thinking probably closer to 100 sticks per bundle and if I average 5 sticks per day, that's 20 days per bundle. Given that I'll be home on weekends, I can keep the fire going then so I might be able to stretch a bundle out to last a month. Anyway, I made two more bundles from the Aspen and might make a couple more for good measure.

I wonder how long a case of 100 Super Cedars at $65 would last. I hear some people cut them in half or quarters so one case might be all that's needed for the year. Don't know if they're available in Canada though.

I've never used ash as kindling. I prefer to use the quicker burning woods like soft maple or pine or even some of that popple you have.

I was using Black Ash because of the way it splits. They make snowshoe frames from Ash because of the way it splits and how easy it is to bend. Natives didn't have saws so they split the wood which also kept the grain going all the way down the piece for strength. The Aspen doesn't split quite as straight but not too bad.

How did you get them all the same length? Do you measure every cut? Also your stove must be able to handle a pretty wide length, what are they about 2 feet. Very neat.

Yes, I measure every cut. The stove can take up to 22 inches but I buck my firewood to 20 inches. From the handle on my saw to the bar tip is 20 inches. My sawbuck legs are spaced 20 inches. I also have a measuring stick with notches every 20 inches.

I select from the firewood, knot-free straight grained sound pieces to split into kin'lin. If you look closely though, you can see the bundle closest to the camera is about 2 - 3 inches shorter than the rest. I guess that came off the end of a log.

I dug up this old thread in hopes that I may have posted enough info to answer the question posed. For the life of me I cannot remember how many bundles I made up. Fore sure there were many more than I posted in this thread because I recall splitting up that Aspen shown as well.

Anyway, I'm down to just a handful now and so must not procrastinate further. It's already a month later in the year than when I first did this in '09. Yesterday I split enough to fill the holder shown on the right and made up one tied bundle. Obviously I need not make quite as much as I did in '09 but don't want to run out when it's bitter cold out.

LLigetfa said:
Anyway, I made two more bundles from the Aspen and might make a couple more for good measure.

I wonder how long a case of 100 Super Cedars at $65 would last. I hear some people cut them in half or quarters so one case might be all that's needed for the year. Don't know if they're available in Canada though.
OK, based on that, there were 4 bundles in the pic, plus the four mentioned for a possible total of 9 counting what's in the holder on the right. Also, I did end up buying a 100 ct of Super Cedars so that helped stretch out the supply.

I think I will be in good stead for this Winter if I make half that amount, so I need to make 2 or 3 more bundles. I may need to devise a way to make them sitting down like BWS does, albeit not using tons of hydraulic power. Stooped over a chopping block is hard on my back.

I still think a shake maker's froe might be the way to go.
3866023.jpg

Pretty cool LLigetfa! Nice work. How are the temps for you up in NW Ontario now? Have you had much heat demand for fires?

Weather is still nice with no snow on the ground. Only had a few evening fires so far.

I was googling around for kin'lin ideas and came across this. Looks easy enough to make from a machete. Could even use it indoors next to the hearth. Hmmm....
706062_01_P_WE_4.jpg

that looks like it could cut a person's finger off. Ouch!

LLigetfa said:
LLigetfa said:
Anyway, I made two more bundles from the Aspen and might make a couple more for good measure.

OK, based on that, there were 4 bundles in the pic, plus the four mentioned for a possible total of 9 counting what's in the holder on the right. Also, I did end up buying a 100 ct of Super Cedars so that helped stretch out the supply.

I think I will be in good stead for this Winter if I make half that amount, so I need to make 2 or 3 more bundles. I may need to devise a way to make them sitting down like BWS does, albeit not using tons of hydraulic power. Stooped over a chopping block is hard on my back.

I still think a shake maker's froe might be the way to go.

Very nice LLigetfa.

zap

Well... I'm done makin kin'lin. Ended up with 4 bundles plus the full holder beside the hearth, just like in the OP pic. that should do me for this heating season. I checked my stash of Super Cedars and need to calculate how long before I need to reorder. It was December of '09 when I ordered a 100 ct and I have a little less than half a box left so I think I'll be OK for a while.

jimosufan said:
that looks like it could cut a person's finger off. Ouch!
Once the blade is set against the wood there is no reason to hold the wood so fingers should not be in harm's way.

LLigetfa said:
Last Winter I burned 24/7 and so didn't use too much kin'lin but this year the wife said no more 24/7 fires so I'll need 4 or 6 pieces of kin'lin per day.

No more 24/7 burning????

We have a natural gas furnace and the cost of gas is not too bad lately. I still manage to go through about 4 cord though. I have 4 cord in the shed now and another 4 cord out on pallets so I'm good for a while.

LLigetfa said:
Last Winter I burned 24/7 and so didn't use too much kin'lin but this year the wife said no more 24/7 fires so I'll need 4 or 6 pieces of kin'lin per day. How many days worth do you think I have now?
I'll guess 4mos.

I thought I was pretty crazy about kindling, but you have a great set up there! I have a friend who owns a fence and deck business and he drops off bags and bags of "cutoffs", 4"-12" pieces left over from 5/8"x4" fence boards. He uses clear cedar on his fences so the pieces splits super easy and straight. I'll split a few boxes worth each season and like you, depending on whether I keep the stove going or have to restart every now and then, I can go a few months before having to pull out another bag of fence boards to split up. Every once in a while he drops off cedar 2xs and I split those up for bigger, secondary kindling. Nothing like free kindling! :cheese:

Attachments

• Kindling1.jpg
    Kindling1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 429
  • Kindling2.jpg
    Kindling2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 410
Scrap lumber and pallets and such are definitely my fav for making kindling out of. We took down an old deck a few years ago and have a pretty decent size stack of lumber from that. Been working on processing it lately.

Ja, if you go the milled wood route, nothing beats rough sawn wood lath. Cedar shakes are a close second. Cedar is nice to split, makes good starter, and smells nice too.

I surely agree on the wood lathe. Wish I could find some more but not too many of those old houses left that has lath in them.

I had a bunch of sassafras trees cut down last year. That stuff is super light--even lighter than pine-- and dries very quickly. It splits very easily and super straight and has been my primary kindling this year. Plus, it smells great while I am splitting it.

fran35 said:
Plus, it smells great while I am splitting it.
Ja, smell is a big part of it and it keeps on giving when stored in the house. I split up some Aspen for kin'lin the last time and regretted the smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.