Kioti DK4710SE HST

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It was beautiful here today. High of 70 with a breeze. The black flies overwhelmed us a few times, but we just kept moving.
It was ok until about 1 pm and then the rain started, this last system that moved through dumped a pretty good amount of rain in a short time with some lightning but nothing for winds.

Reactions: SpaceBus
It was ok until about 1 pm and then the rain started, this last system that moved through dumped a pretty good amount of rain in a short time with some lightning but nothing for winds.
This storm doesn't seem like it will make it up here with any strength

Reactions: thewoodlands
This storm doesn't seem like it will make it up here with any strength
This coming at us, flashlights with the genny are ready.

The National Weather Service in Burlington has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
West central Franklin County in northern New York...
East central St. Lawrence County in northern New York...

* Until 745 PM EDT.

* At 708 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Rensselaer
Falls, moving east at 50 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Minor hail damage to vehicles is possible. Expect wind
damage to trees and powerlines.

This coming at us, flashlights with the genny are ready.

The National Weather Service in Burlington has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
West central Franklin County in northern New York...
East central St. Lawrence County in northern New York...

* Until 745 PM EDT.

* At 708 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Rensselaer
Falls, moving east at 50 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Minor hail damage to vehicles is possible. Expect wind
damage to trees and powerlines.

Wow, that's serious. I guess we are lucky all the way out here.

Severe thunderstorms here today, as well. Waiting them out in the cabana bar at the local country club, with a Tanqueray and tonic. No stove needed, it’s 86F.

da4f7aebefdf164b0969801e429c51ca.jpg

Severe thunderstorms here today, as well. Waiting them out in the cabana bar at the local country club, with a Tanqueray and tonic. No stove needed, it’s 86F.

View attachment 244497

It hit a lovely 70 here yesterday, I had on shorts and flip flops. It rained all night and now it's 49 and foggy/misty. I'll have to light the stove, again, in a little while.

Anyone else having a rough time with flat faced connectors in the cold?

we have some issues with our equipment in the winter. you know how it is nothing likes to work easy in the cold. Have you tried letting the fluid warm up a little? Maybe try a little warm water.

we have some issues with our equipment in the winter. you know how it is nothing likes to work easy in the cold. Have you tried letting the fluid warm up a little? Maybe try a little warm water.
I had to use my butane torch to get one coupler to close, it was frozen in the open position. I had to loosen a line to get them unhooked, and this was on a warm tractor that had been running for a while. They were much easier in the summer, that's for sure! Maybe I could have cycled the grapple a few more times.

On our tracked buckets we have problems with the aux hydraulics. spraying them with WD-40 helps a little. it seems if they are not used all the time (connecting and disconnecting). They get stuck/frozen.

Tried to hook up the grapple hydraulics yesterday and today, but they won't move. I'm hoping that with the high of 32 and full sun the fluid will work with me later.

Was the tractor running when you were trying to connect the hydraulics?

Was the tractor running when you were trying to connect the hydraulics?
I connected the grapple couplers to each other to keep the dirt out when I'm not using it. Those couplings won't even separate, much less connect to my tractor hydraulics. I can get by without it today, but if push comes to shove I can release the pressure by breaking open the connectors. This is not what I want to do, since I changed to these flat face connect under pressure couplings because I wanted less fluid to leak between coupling changes and have an easier time in the winter...

Carefully maybe try some channel locks or 2 sets of big pliers. Sometimes the connections become froze or stuck. Maybe try a different approach when not in use so they do not become stuck. They make connection covers they are just plastic or rubber nipples that go over the ends with a band that fits around the hose.

Carefully maybe try some channel locks or 2 sets of big pliers. Sometimes the connections become froze or stuck. Maybe try a different approach when not in use so they do not become stuck. They make connection covers they are just plastic or rubber nipples that go over the ends with a band that fits around the hose.
I have the rubber covers and usually use them. The grapple side couplers let go today, but can't get them to connect to the tractor. I may go back to pioneer style couplings after all of this hassle.

On the female fitting sometimes you can get a small regular screwdriver in between the connection pieces to relieve some pressure watch you will have some fluid spit out. Did you leave the grapple all the way closed when you disconnected it?

Also maybe try messing with the third function valve control button or switch once the tractor is off to try and relieve some pressure on the tractor side. If that side is a problem. Just trying to throw out some ideas and help, not sure if I'm giving any. I know how frustration it is to not get the connectors to come together.

Also maybe try messing with the third function valve control button or switch once the tractor is off to try and relieve some pressure on the tractor side. If that side is a problem. Just trying to throw out some ideas and help, not sure if I'm giving any. I know how frustration it is to not get the connectors to come together.
In warm weather I don't have any issues and really can connect these flat face connectors under pressure. I'll try and find a good plastic or wood tool to press the rings, hadn't thought of that. A bit over a month ago I had to use hot water and a butane torch.

I did leave the grapple all the way closed last time I unhooked it, is this part of my problem? Come to think of it I usually don't have as many issues hooking my stump grinder, but it has small pioneer connectors as well.

Maybe try leaving the grapple lid or lids in a semi loose position. When I park my tractor for the day I lightly squeeze the grapple around the bucket, once the tractor is parked where it sits for the night I turn it off. With the tractor off I push the third function button and move the joystick around to have the grapple lids release the fluid out and close lightly down. I can go out right now and move the lids up with the tractor off. I think the grapple lids or lid being closed tightly is making the connections difficult in the cold. Once the fluid warms up it makes it a little easier. Just a thought give it a try and let me know.

Maybe try leaving the grapple lid or lids in a semi loose position. When I park my tractor for the day I lightly squeeze the grapple around the bucket, once the tractor is parked where it sits for the night I turn it off. With the tractor off I push the third function button and move the joystick around to have the grapple lids release the fluid out and close lightly down. I can go out right now and move the lids up with the tractor off. I think the grapple lids or lid being closed tightly is making the connections difficult in the cold. Once the fluid warms up it makes it a little easier. Just a thought give it a try and let me know.
I'll give it a try. Whenever hooking/unhooking I follow the same routine of letting the pressure release with the tractor off, but never left the grapple open.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Yesterday it warmed up enough to get the grapple hydraulics to attach. After getting the grapple hooked up I parked it wrapped around the bucket and the couplings worked as they are supposed to. After using the forks to move some firewood I put the grapple back on. After using some sticks to push the connector rings open to relieve pressure they connected right back up. I suspect if it hadn't been cold it would have gone even easier.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I'm glad it worked out maybe have some kind of heater or a way to warm up the connections without burning them.

I'm glad it worked out maybe have some kind of heater or a way to warm up the connections without burning them.
Halogen worklight or an IR lamp is a good option. Maybe a shroud or a cover of some sort to hold some of the heat in.

I do have a spare brooder heat lamp I could use. Seems like winter is mostly done, so I hopefully won't have to deal with this again till next winter, but I will know what to do now.